mtbr member
    May 2005

My Superfly Goes Clunk

I know this doesn't sound very descriptive, but it is the best way I can describe what is happening.

Here's how I can reproduce the problem:

1. Start pedalling in the saddle
    2. Unweight the saddle and stand on the pedals, shift weight backward slightly
    3. Clunk!
    4. Continue riding on the pedals and roll over roots and rocks
    5. Sit down on the saddle and resume cycling

It happens in various degrees of severity, meaning sometimes it is a subtle ping, and other times it is audible clunk. It feels like it originating in the drivetrain and is coming out of the bottom bracket area, however, I switched out my RaceFace crank set to an XTR crank set with a brand new bottom bracket and the issue persists. That said, these carbon frames echo and ping throughout so the "where" can be misleading.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Ryan

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    You riding with a water bottle? Mine makes a clunk when riding over the rough stuff when I have a water bottle - quite as a mouse otherwise.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    It sounds like your rear free-hub. Take it in to a shop and let them check it out...there is a new free-hub to replace the early ones that apparently have improper machining.

-r

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    thats what it is i am on my second one.they sent me a black rear wheel that doesnt match the silver front.kind of sucks but used to it now.i bought a custom stans crest wheelset.i hope that works out better.

mtbr member
    Do you still have your stock RXL wheels? if so get the free free-hub rebuild kit from your trek dealer.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yes, I still have the stock RXL wheels. You know, I totally forgot about this issue being a possibility thanks to the LBS proactively cleaning/re-greasing the free hub when I purchased the bike (anticipating the issue at some point; this bought me six months so I'm thankful for that).

It makes sense when you think about it, I'm just not used to a carbon frame that echoes and amplifies noises all around the frame!

I will work with the shop and pursue a new wheel and/or replacement free hub assembly. Thanks for the input everyone!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i ihad problems with rear and lbs sent off and bontrager sent me new black front and rear they seem to be holding up

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    From the way you describe it, check your main suspension pivot near the bottom bracket. Mine developed the same thing. Replaced bearings, good to go, right? Nope. Turns out that the metal tube that goes through the carbon frame (NOT the actual pivot axle) can come un-bonded. That had definitely happened to mine. GF has a service bulletin on this issue (found on the Fly 100, Remedy, and Fuel carbon frames) that call for the tube to be re-bonded with Loctite 410 or Gorilla Glue. Did that to mine today, and we'll see how it works out.

I'm a bit pessimistic about essentially gluing my pivot back together, but the industrial adhesives that are available today are amazing, so I've got my fingers crossed.

After four hours of curing time, it was tight as a drum on the driveway test. We'll see how it holds up to a trail ride on Thursday.

I would sure be interested in hearing if anybody else has been through this issue (and may start a separate "Fly 100 Main Pivot Play" thread).
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    From the way you describe it, check your main suspension pivot near the bottom bracket.
    I checked for a suspension pivot and came up empty! In all seriousness, my bike is not the Superfly 100.

I received my replacement wheel today from Trek and will be test riding it tomorrow. Unfortunately, the colors do not match my original front wheel whatsoever (original was silver spokes laced to silver rims, the new wheel is white spokes to black rims!).

I'm not so sure how this will play out, but I'll save my judgement once it is on the bike. I suppose it will be good motivation to upgrade from the stock wheel set!

mtbr member
    May 2010

Supefly SS noises

I have a Superfly SS. I love the bike, but it has come with a variety of problems. The bosses holding the bottle cages keep coming loose, so they are sending me a new frame. The slippage problem with the rear wheel is also very persistent. The dealer and myself have tried different washers, bolts etc, but it still slips. latest problem: if you grab the seat post with one hand, and the top of the rear wheel with the other hand and torque them in opposite directions you will hear a horrible sound. It comes from the dropouts moving against the frame. Could this be what you are hearing? What other problems have you Superfly SS riders encountered??

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pedaldapedals
    I have a Superfly SS. I love the bike, but it has come with a variety of problems. The bosses holding the bottle cages keep coming loose, so they are sending me a new frame. The slippage problem with the rear wheel is also very persistent. The dealer and myself have tried different washers, bolts etc, but it still slips. latest problem: if you grab the seat post with one hand, and the top of the rear wheel with the other hand and torque them in opposite directions you will hear a horrible sound. It comes from the dropouts moving against the frame. Could this be what you are hearing? What other problems have you Superfly SS riders encountered??
    Luckily, I haven't suffered from any of the issues you described, but it is good to know to watch out for them.

I am happy to report that Trek/Bontrager replaced my front wheel in good faith once I griped a bit about the clearly mismatched look to my post-warrantee swap of the rear wheel. While it wasn't a colour choice I would make for a custom wheelset, the black rims laced with white spokes really look sharp thanks to similar colours used throughout the 2009 Superfly.

My bike is as silent as it was prior to this issue starting, and a big thanks to Trek/Bontrager and my local bike store for making this as painless as it can be!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    +1 on the freehub.

I had the same thing happen with my '09 rear wheel. I had no idea what it was until one day I noticed the pawls were slipping. Eventually it got so bad that I just couldn't pedal the bike. Got a new one for free through warranty within 2 weeks. Have the same problem as tony t, I now have a nice black rear wheel and a silver front. No problems/noise from the new wheel.