mtbr member
    Jan 2012

My new Superfly 100

Just picked this up yesterday! Traded in my 12 Cobia on it. I cant wait to get out and ride! Stupid rain wont stop. I will get some better pics when the rain stops.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Good ride today! FS is so much nicer than HT.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I absolutely love this bike! I went to my favorite trail and shaved 3.21 off my time. I am so glad I made the switch to FS!

mtbr member
    Great bike...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin2Win View Post
    I absolutely love this bike! I went to my favorite trail and shaved 3.21 off my time. I am so glad I made the switch to FS!
    I have the 2012 Superfly AL hardtail. Love the 29er.

Convince me why I should go FS. What makes you love it?

I could probably afford the aluminum FS, but the carbon FS Superfly might be hard to swing. I'm sure my hard tail is lighter than the aluminum FS would be.
    Last edited by jeffharris1us; 09-12-2012 at 12:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffharris1us View Post
    I have the 2012 Superfly AL hardtail. Love the 29er.

Convince me why I should go FS. What makes you love it?

I could probably afford the aluminum FS, but the carbon FS Superfly might be hard to swing. I'm sure my hard tail is lighter than the aluminum FS would be.
    Well it depends on what kind of riding you do and rider you are. Me I ride for the most part smooth flowing single track but also frequent very rock technical trails also. I am a sit and spin kinda guy so I can pretty much power through or over most things. I found on my HT that I would have to stop pedaling even on the straits when I hit minimal chunk or bumps in the trail. I ran my HT tubeless which helped a ton. The SF does everything my cobia did just way more comfortably. I don't feel as beat up when I'm done riding either. FS isnt for everybody but for me its totally worth it. One bike to do it all.

AL or Carbon up to you. I can't afford the carbon and not sure I would buy it if I could. Thats a lot of $$ for a bike. Who knows maybe later on down the road I might see it different?

On a side note I shaved another 2min off my time at my local loop! Getting more comfortable with the new ride! LOL still got smoked by a couple of middle aged dudes that are faster than they look!
    Last edited by Pin2Win; 09-12-2012 at 07:16 PM.
    2012 SF 100 AL <~~~I LOVE THIS BIKE!

mtbr member
    Awesome Bike!! love my 2012 FS SF100 AL Pro...

I do 6hr mtb races, ORAMM, Fool's Gold 50 race...etc....onlt rode HT my whole life...Very happy to have gone FS....after 6hrs my body not nearly as beat up and tired. I also love the ability to lock it out and adjust the rebound on fly....works awesome!! it does take some time to get the feel for the adjustments. I am a pretty good descender and I will say I am faster due to the suspension than on HT...suspension absorbs it all when it gets rough.

My AL Pro weighs 28lbs...soon to be lesss than that with some Stan's Crest Rims...

Wife has same bike in small with Stan's Race Gold 26.3 lbs

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyJ7 View Post
    Awesome Bike!! love my 2012 FS SF100 AL Pro...

I do 6hr mtb races, ORAMM, Fool's Gold 50 race...etc....onlt rode HT my whole life...Very happy to have gone FS....after 6hrs my body not nearly as beat up and tired. I also love the ability to lock it out and adjust the rebound on fly....works awesome!! it does take some time to get the feel for the adjustments. I am a pretty good descender and I will say I am faster due to the suspension than on HT...suspension absorbs it all when it gets rough.

My AL Pro weighs 28lbs...soon to be lesss than that with some Stan's Crest Rims...

Wife has same bike in small with Stan's Race Gold 26.3 lbs
    I agree! I am working my way up to racing. Nothing that distance yet just regular XC Cat 3 type events. I weighed mine today at the LBS after they put on my new X9 type 2 rd on it was 30.4 with pedals and cage. I've got Ritchey wcs carbon bars, ergon grips, thomson stem and x9 rd other than tubeless its all stock. I think I am going to go the Stans Arch ex route with mine. LIttle by little I will get it where I want it to be!

Ride More, Whine Less
    My first ride on a SF100--I say to myself, so this is why cars have suspension. For all the fuss people make about FS vs. HT, after a day on a FS you know why it is nice to have.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I've had my SF AL hard tail for about 6 months and I ride it a ton. I could see myself going to a carbon frame to decrease the weight.

Not sure I would go the AL full squish option over carbon HT. I think I'd rather have the weight savings over full suspension.

The idea of going full suspension/carbon? That is where my wife's serious objections would begin.

mtbr member
    Awesome bike. I'm looking at getting a new bike after riding an EX8 for a few years. I really like the SF 100 AL Elite, and choosing between that or the Rumblefish Elite. You mentioned you ride technical/rocky sections on some of your trails? I just moved out to CO, and the trails here definitely have some rocky/tech areas. How does it handle on those? I understand its not as plush as the RF, but can it still handle singletrack well?

Was leaning toward the Fish, just because it can do more, but tested it and it felt heavy. Although not an XC racer, I may get into it eventually, and love the SF100 look, and have heard it is an amazing climber, which definitely appeals to me.

Ride More, Whine Less
    My SF100 is stable, fast and an excellent climber. You would honestly think you were riding a hard tail if it were not for feeling fresh when you get off the bike. It handles a bit slow in tight curves (probably more of a 29er thing than a SF thing). The lower bottom bracket might be a limiting factor if you are riding really technical trails (log and rock crossings), but for trail tracking and tough hill climbs, it seems hard to beat. I was torn between and EX and the SF. After a few rides, I was hooked on the SF. I never rode a rumble fish.

mtbr member
    Yeah it looks great and Im pretty sold on it. Only worry is the rockyness of the trails out here. Will probably rent before I buy, or look out for a demo in the area. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallejo View Post
    Awesome bike. I'm looking at getting a new bike after riding an EX8 for a few years. I really like the SF 100 AL Elite, and choosing between that or the Rumblefish Elite. You mentioned you ride technical/rocky sections on some of your trails? I just moved out to CO, and the trails here definitely have some rocky/tech areas. How does it handle on those? I understand its not as plush as the RF, but can it still handle singletrack well?

Was leaning toward the Fish, just because it can do more, but tested it and it felt heavy. Although not an XC racer, I may get into it eventually, and love the SF100 look, and have heard it is an amazing climber, which definitely appeals to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallejo View Post
    Yeah it looks great and Im pretty sold on it. Only worry is the rockyness of the trails out here. Will probably rent before I buy, or look out for a demo in the area. Thanks!
    The SF100 is more than capable of handling technical stuff(more than the rider in my case) climbs really well but if you plan on doing big drops say over 3-4' I would get the fish. I really love my SF100 it has honestly made me faster rider and is sooo much fun!

Also make sure they set you sus up for your weight. Makes a huge difference.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    2012 GF SF 100 AL: DIALED! This was my first double squish in about four years, spent the last three racing hardtails. My oh my, if it were any sweeter, it'd be cheatin', this bike is just so smooth so fast, so dialed on the descents, fast and hooked up on the climbs, and when the big wheels roll, watch out!!. I ride east coast; hardpack, rocks & roots, tight twisty single track and this bike has made me a faster rider. Won the cup last year in Cat 2 XC, so this year I'm movin on up to Cat 1 endurance. The bike flat out flys, great climber, no chatter on the rough stuff and you can ride ALL day, no worries. I got the 2013 GF SF 100 Carbon Elite on order and can't wait to toe the line with that Ripper! Gonna buy some wheels as soon as I get some cash, stock stuff RL (race light) is decent but even Stan crests would be an upgrade. Rest of the components are XT, RLX, & RL. Well spec'ed build!
    possum out

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I had a fish and got a 2010 superfly100 and took a min off my lap time on my second lap. My trails are not that tech and I did get into racing so the SF works for me. The fish did ride more plush but was a good bit heavy. I ended up getting a new 2012 frame under warranty and the bike weighs 23.5 ready to ride. Just got some Roval carbon wheels and putting XX1 on it and hope to get under 23lbs.

Ride More, Whine Less
    This thread needs more pictures. Here is recent one from the unofficial take-your-Superfly-to-work day.