mtbr member
    Aug 2011

My Gary Fisher Wahoo Disc budget build.

So this is my 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo Disc that I bought new back in '07. I have recently been upgrading it from the stock components. This is my current setup:

Large frame.
    Stock Bontrager Ranger wheelset with Shimano hubs and center lock discs.
    Stock Bontrager Sport stem and Bontrager Crowbar
    Stock Bontrager sport Seat post
    Shimano Acera E-type FD
    Shimano Deore RD
    Shimano Crankset
    Sram 8 speed cassette

Upgraded parts:
    F:izik Gobi XM Kium rail Saddle
    Hayes Stroker trail brakes
    Alivio front and rear shifters 3x8
    Rock Shox SID race front fork '09 model
    Cane creek 40 headset
    Crank Bros candy pedals
    Lizard skins Peaty lock on grips
    Kenda Nevegal front and rear tires.

I mostly ride for fun and exercise but did do the Hotter than Hell Hundred last year and plan on doing it again. Even though it is a road ride it was still a lot of fun and it is becoming a family tradition. I may do a XC event this year but not sure yet. I live in North Texas so the trails aren't too hard on a bike. My tires are a bit over kill I think but like I said I ride for fun and fitness and those tires grip like hell and provide plenty of rolling resistance for fitness. I, like most, would like to just go out and buy a brand new bike every few years, but alas, I'm married and not rich. So I upgrade parts as needed. For instance I removed my BB today and noticed it is shot to ****. So I will be replacing that next. My stock Shimano disc brakes became basically useless so I upgraded them. My Dart 1 fork was blown so I replaced it. I do all of my work myself and made some tools myself. I have been having some lower back pain and am wondering if the Stem needs to be a little bit shorter. So that will probably be next. I have an idea of 1x10 in mind and some nice wheels. I have been planning on going to tubeless for about a year but other items kept needing to be replaced. I usually set a goal to save a certain amount off money then shop for about 6 months to find the best deal (drives my wife nuts). So enough jabbering. Any tips would be great. Thanks for looking.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Current state

Work space minus 1 mini Clubman

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    nice

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've got the same bike and thinking of switching to hydro's which means I'll need new shifters because the stock ones were integrated with the brakes. Now I'm seeing a lot of posts that the alivio's are difficult to install/repair. Since it seems like 8 speeds are going away I was wondering how yours is holding up and what you think of yours lately.

Do I go with the alivios, or is there another option besides replacing the cassette, and dumping so much money into the bike that I should just replace it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CBeaker View Post
    I've got the same bike and thinking of switching to hydro's which means I'll need new shifters because the stock ones were integrated with the brakes. Now I'm seeing a lot of posts that the alivio's are difficult to install/repair. Since it seems like 8 speeds are going away I was wondering how yours is holding up and what you think of yours lately.

Do I go with the alivios, or is there another option besides replacing the cassette, and dumping so much money into the bike that I should just replace it?
    I got the alivios since I was on a budget and had to replace my shifters. My rear derailleur says nine speed on it so switching over would be easy and fairly inexpensive. I didn't have any issues until recently when my derailleur hanger was bent, now I am trying to find the sweet spot. There is no difficulty installing them IMHO but I did have to remove the gear indicators because I limit myself to one finger braking and if my shifters had the gear indicators intact they would be either too far inboard or outboard. By removing the indicators I could keep the shifters mounted outboard of the brakes and keep the shifters from cramping my cockpit.I have had zero issues with the shifters and don't foresee any, besides, at less than $40 a set its a great deal.

mtbr member
    I have the 2006 Wahoo with 2002 SID ($100 eBay). The stock Judy J1 had no damping and weighed over 5 lbs, so now my bike weighs 26 lbs and handles significantly better. Also switched to a slightly wider bar, 680mm FSA, which I already owned but will definitely upgrade when the need arises. :

Nice bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Looking good. I have spent the last year doing up my stock 06 Wahoo. The judy was awful, but decent at the time for entry level!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Nice ride

JF_
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Gnarly ride! I have the `13 Wahoo, and loving it! No upgrades yet, but sure like your bike repair stand, what brand is it?