mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Marlin question.

I have an opportunity to pick up an 09 Marlin Disc at a LBS, and I am interested in the bike. It seems to suit what I - a XC with front suspension and disc breaks. Th store is willing to upgrage the tires to semi-slicks since I will be doing mostly asphalt - probably 70% asphalt, with the rest on rough trail, but no major descents or jumps. The one they have left in stock is a 19" - I'm 6'3, 235. I can get it for just north of $800 (consider this is Quebec, so ridiculous mark-ups plus 15% sales tax), but the store owner is willing to cover the tire upgrade, pedal upgrade, and seat upgrade. Unfortunately, he won't let me try the bike out, so it has to be based on a sit-on impression. Any feedback on the bang/buck and or possible fit issues would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member

too small

with your height you would feel better in my opinion with a larger frame size i have the 19''
    and i am 5'11'' 180 and fits perfectly just my 2 cents good luck

mtbr member
    May 2004
    He won't let you run it around the parking lot????

FAIL!!!

I'm ~6' and I rode a 19" 03 Big Sur.
    I'm currently riding a 20" 08 Kona Dawg Deluxe.

I've seen some guys like reasonably small bikes, including one coworker my size on a 17.5" and one at 6'2" on a 17.5" but at XC I'd expect you might be scrunched. I tried the first guy's bike and found it to be cramped beyond belief so I don't understand the second guy at all.

On the first bike I test rode at five shops before I bit.
    The second bike I test rode 4 or 5 bikes at the same shop for a couple hours around the block before I decided what I wanted and I had a pretty good idea coming in on it.

Bottom line IMO is if you can't ride it for even a couple hundred yards you probably shouldn't buy it, especially if you have sizing questions.