mtbr member

Looking to get a shorter stem--need recommendations

I am looking to try out a shorter stem as my fit tweaking continues with my 2010 RF. Right now it has the stock 90mm stem and I am looking to swap it out for a 50 or 70 mm stem to get some better manual/wheelie action and to quicken up the steering a little. I know nothing about stems, so I am looking for some suggestions--right now I am looking at the Raceface Atlas and the Thomson X4. Are there others I should consider?

I know that fit is everything and no one can really make the call except me on length--but going down from a 90mm, would you recommend going to the 70mm or 50 with the RF geometry (best guess)?

Thanks!

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Raceface is overpriced IMHO. Go hope or thomson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaindavis
    right now I am looking at the Raceface Atlas and the Thomson X4. Are there others I should consider?
    I've been pretty happy of late with the Truvative AKA stems. Cost is reasonable. They seem burly enough for how I ride.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    yeah i forgot about the truvative aka stems. cheap and strong.....

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by ilostmypassword
    Raceface is overpriced IMHO. Go hope or thomson
    raceface is overpriced yet you suggest maybe two of the most expensive stems.

mtbr member
    Ended up with a Thomson X4 70mm 0degree. Fits me well, did a nice ride yesterday up Kenosha/Georgia passes and really dug it. Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaindavis
    Ended up with a Thomson X4 70mm 0degree. Fits me well, did a nice ride yesterday up Kenosha/Georgia passes and really dug it. Thanks
    Glad it worked out.

I'd still recommend getting several Truvativ cheapy stems (they are cheaper because they are heavy, not breaky) in 40/50/60/80mm lengths just to play with. That way you can ensure you guessed correctly with the 70. If anything, the shorter ones make you focus even more on climbing technique and they are great fun on the trail.

mtbr member
    Thanks--that is good advice and I will try some shorter. I have a little bit of difficulty keeping my front traction which is why I only went down 20mm but I am curious what a 50 will feel like. I definitely noticed a difference in being able to get my front wheel off the ground--and that came in really handy on root-infested trails. God I love mtn biking. :-)