mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Looking for an entry level bike - Mamba 29er versus Utopia

Picked up cycling this year - lost 78 pounds to date this year. Part of my campaign has been to cycle - at the gym, now in spin classes. Picked up an older Schwinn Alum Comp for cheap Ebay with my local LBS getting to a decent state. Have ridden around town (street), on vacation (Cape Cod and the beach) and some trails. Current favorite is a loose gravel track with some mild hills. Looking for a new bike. Taking that Schwinn out on local trails is a chore.

So given I am likely not a hardcore trail rider - and focused on versatility and fitness. The Fisher Utopia is bike that has raised my eyes. Looking at the Specialized Crosstrail but the Utopia also has my eyes.

My local LBS has thrown I out a 29er as an alternative to the Hybrid and a 2010 Mamba has my eyes.

Love some thoughts guys

MTB Prodigy
    i'd prefer the mamba, it gives u a lil more versatility if u do get more into it
    Get out and ride!

Jake

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Waiting on the 23" frame Mamba to come out. I've heard nothing but good stuff.

mtbr member
    ..Congrats on the weight loss! I just got the mamba like 3 months ago and it's been an awesome ride. I threw on some bb7's and some better grips to get my custom spin on things. and the components on the bike aren't half bad at all for what you get. I haven't ridden a Utopia but if its a Fisher bike its okay with me.

Trying not to kill myself
    The Utopia is a nice bike (my brother in law has one) and it'll be great for what you want to use it for. The tires are pretty narrow, so I wouldn't take it onto too many rough surfaces, but it's great for streets and dirt roads. Then again, I used to ride a Giant hybrid and the more I rode on trails, the more I wanted a true MTB. Fast forward a year and the hybrid is long gone and I've got a couple of nice mountain bikes. If you think there's any chance that you might do a little more off road in the future, go with the Mamba and have some more road-oriented tires put on. Otherwise the Utopia will be great. Either one of them is probably going to feel like a Rolls Royce compared to your old Schwinn.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    i have the gary fisher mamba and like it a lot. all gary fisher 29ers are the same frame, so they are very upgradable

I hate that name.
    Quote Originally Posted by pecsokak
    i have the gary fisher mamba and like it a lot. all gary fisher 29ers are the same frame, so they are very upgradable
    Assuming you mean aluminum hartdtails, then almost. The Paragon frame is a slight upgrade. Better alloy, tapered headtube.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.