Pedal Damn It!

New question here. Looking for a Bike Marlin or Wahoo Disc

I've been reading as much as I can and I am torn between getting a Marlin with V brakes or a Wahoo with Disc. So far my research tells me that there are only a few differences between the parts. The Front derailleur and the shifters. The Marlin is set up to be able to add disc brakes in the future.

Also I'm looking for a bike I can upgrade along the way so I can pick and choose my parts as i learn more.

I will be riding trails 80% of the time and 20% on the road. I know both will need upgrades on derailleurs when the stock ones wear out so what are your thoughts on both bikes?
    Last edited by TwoShoes; 02-19-2009 at 12:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'd snag a Marlin, but I probably think that because I own a Marlin

I (personally) think the component set that comes on the Marlin is fairly decent for the price point, and it allows you to upgrade over the years as things break or you want some upgraded parts. As an example, I've tossed clipless pedals on my Marlin, a new saddle and a set of Juicy 5's. The next thing that will go on it will be a new fork and after that, I'll just wait for things to break on the thing.

Now some folks will say spend the money outright now because it's cheaper to get the whole shabang at once. That works for some folks, but I'm planning on having this frame for at least another 3 years (I got it last year). In the end I'll put MORE into my Marlin than I would a higher end bike, but it'll be done over a period of years where I can afford to do so. Simply put, I couldn't justify just getting into mountain biking and spend $1,200 on a new hard tail ya know?

But yeah, I dig my Marlin

Pedal Damn It!
    After doing a lot of thinking I think I'm going to go for the marlin with the V brakes. I rode them both and the Disc brakes need a lot of riding for the wear in period. I like the simplicity of the V brakes and they are easy to adjust. I also thought about waiting a little bit longer and getting a Mamba 29er but I can't see spending that much for a bike that has the same Derailleurs as the cheaper bikes.

I will start with a marlin and we will see how I like it. Maybe after riding a few years I will see a need to buy a nicer bike.

RXB
    B*Man
    Go with the Marlin disc. It will cost you more to upgrade later. I just bought a black 09 Marlin disc. It is sweet.

Pedal Damn It!
    I've been without internet for a week and after riding the bikes again I went with the Gary Fisher Mamba 29er since it was only a little more than the Marlin. I don't have any pics yet because I'm still without internet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Good choice on the 29er, let us know how the Mamba rides...