evergreen
    Sep 2007

Kaitai 1999 repair. Need advice.

Hi all.

I'm going to replace some original components on my Kaitai '99 and I'm not sure that newer parts are compatible with this frame. Shimano always confused me so I expect compatibility surprises here . So the questions:

Q #1: Front derailleur. Original one is Alivio '99 E-type. Are newer E-type Shimano derailleurs (for example M580 or M570) compatible with the frame and BB. Or better to replace E-type derailleur with seat tube mounted (top swing probably?). And what to do with the gap in BB cup in that case ? BB still OK and I'm not going to replace it.

Q #2: The fork. Originally it was Judy C 63mm. Later i upgraded it to full 80mm. Now I'd like to install new fork. Does anybody use 100mm fork on these frames or 80-85mm is absolute limit for 1st gen of Genesis frames?

Thanks in advance.

anyone else smell that?
    don't what to do about the e-type der. i have a newer kaitai and i just installed a sram x-gen front der. on there. had to cut off the dual pull portion of the arm to make it clear my 2.1 tires.

i put a 100mm reba on the front for a while.....it worked pretty well. i normally run a rigid fork on there with about 3/4" less axle to crown ratio and it works a bit better. so i'd say it depends upon the fork. the rigid i use is the soul cycles 29er.

evergreen
    Sep 2007
    Hi jgsatl.
    Thanks for reply.
    I've searched in Simano documentation and now it's clear that I cannot install newer E-type derailleur.In order to fix derailleur at correct angle there should be threaded hole in the seat tube. Kaitai '99 doesn't have it. Old derailleur used "fork" for setting correct angle.
    In short I installed top swing top pull M570 derailleur and it's working normally. And the gap in BB is standard 2.5mm so I used extra spacer from Shimano X_type BB which I have installed on other bike. This spacer filled the gap perfectly.

Talking about fork... I also run Reba U-Turn on my other bike and it looks much taller in comparison with Judy on Kaitai. Probably I'll try Reba one day but afraid it's too big (plus my Reba doesn't have V-brake bosses). Something like Fox F80 or Magura Odur should match better.

adult onset ADHD
    Aren't they completely different bikes. the 1999 being a 26" wheel mountain bike? and the newer Kaitai being a 29er frame with a cross bike tire and fork?
    that said. I just bought at 2007 Kaitai and will be picking it up next week. I have a couple of questions,
    What 2.1 tires did you put on.?
    Did you use the stock rims?
    Were there any other mods that were necessary for Mountain tires?
    thanks
    Respect your local Woodland Spirits

WNY Mountain Biking Assoc.