mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Just bought a 2010 Superfly 100 - questions

Got a great deal, looking to replace some parts. Bike has XO 3x9 drivetrain and will likely replace with XTR 2x10. I think the BB is pressed into the frame and you don't want to change it. Is this true and if so, is the BB compatible with the XTR cranks?
    Last edited by Olis1; 08-14-2011 at 11:51 AM.

Superflying on Haven
    You have to remove the non drive side bearing and replace it by a Shimano compatible bearing. Sram uses a non drive side bearing with a smaller inner diameter. Very easy to do with a bearing puller (ask your lbs). I did it to install a Shimano XT crankset on my Superfly 100 and replace the 3x9 sram crankset. Downside is that you must buy a new set of bearings although you need to replace only the left one. Second downside is that only the ceramis Enduro bearings are available on the market now, the Enduro metal bearings (way cheaper) are coming up... they say...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Menzo View Post
    You have to remove the non drive side bearing and replace it by a Shimano compatible bearing. Sram uses a non drive side bearing with a smaller inner diameter. Very easy to do with a bearing puller (ask your lbs). I did it to install a Shimano XT crankset on my Superfly 100 and replace the 3x9 sram crankset. Downside is that you must buy a new set of bearings although you need to replace only the left one. Second downside is that only the ceramis Enduro bearings are available on the market now, the Enduro metal bearings (way cheaper) are coming up... they say...
    My buddy can get me the XTR Trail drivetrain and brakes at cost so I'm going to order that. Sounds like you are saying that the BB that comes with this would not be compatible and I'd need to buy the Enduro bearings. What's the downside of an enduro bearing? Heavier?

I guess this is a reason to go SRAM XX which I can get for the same cost I believe. In that case I'd just order the cranks without BB and be good to go using the BB that is on the bike now with the XO 3x9 cranks. Is this correct?

Thanks for the help.

Superflying on Haven
    Enduro is just a popular brand. There is no downside. I just don't know other brands that make these bearings. Ask your lbs or friends maybe they know other companies that make press fit bearings.

As your bike comes with a Sram crankset and you'd want to install a Shimano XTR crankset you'd need to replace the non drive side bearing (because the inner hole diameter is bigger for a Shimano crankset than Sram). Indeed if you buy a XX crankset, there won't me anything to change, it uses the same BB.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Menzo View Post
    Enduro is just a popular brand. There is no downside. I just don't know other brands that make these bearings. Ask your lbs or friends maybe they know other companies that make press fit bearings.

As your bike comes with a Sram crankset and you'd want to install a Shimano XTR crankset you'd need to replace the non drive side bearing (because the inner hole diameter is bigger for a Shimano crankset than Sram). Indeed if you buy a XX crankset, there won't me anything to change, it uses the same BB.
    Makes sense. Thanks.