mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Info on converting my 2010 HiFi Deluxe to tubeless

Hello all....I'm looking for info on converting my 2010 HiFi Deluxe to a tubeless setup. From what I've been reading, it sounds like the pro's outweigh the cons and most people who have gone tubeless are glad they did. Has anyone here found that to be true? I do a mix of XC/AM riding.

Since the stock bontrager duster rims and stock tires say they are 'tubeless ready', what exactly is required? I was looking at the Bontrager site and it looks like i'll need the "Rhythm Tubeless Rim Strip-Symmetric" and the 'Tubeless Rim Valve', but is there also some sort of sealant that I'll need?

Also if anyone has any other info they want to share when it comes to making the switch, I'd appreciate it. I'm trying to find some decent guides, etc, but seem to be coming up empty. Just trying to get my head around everything i'll need and the steps to take.

Thanks!

AZ
    banned
    Use the Bonty strips and valves , most people run some kind of sealant , I have had excellent results with Stan's sealant in Bonty tires and wheels .

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Use the Bonty strips and valves , most people run some kind of sealant , I have had excellent results with Stan's sealant in Bonty tires and wheels .
    +1 on what he said

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Great. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

mtbr member
    That's what I am using with my Pro. I've had people tell me they accomplished sealing with a floor pump. Never been able to do it. Do you have a compressor?
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have a very small one, but i'd have to get a presta valve adaptor. Is the compressor needed to fill the tires quickly or because you have to put a high amount of pressure in the tires the first time to get a good seal?

By the way, what seatpost are you running in that pic of your Fisher? I'm looking for one that has about that degree of bend so I'm not quite so upright. I ditched the stock big sweep bars, which helped, but still need to push the seat back just a tad further on mine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I had team issue 29-3 tires, after getting the bontrager strips, adding stans, they got soft in a couple hours, someone suggested adding more stans and riding them a couple miles ...solution ...set of 29-3 tlr tires = 120$ more...picking them up tommorrow. I understand the tlr version has a thicker sidewall also. You can use a schrader chuck , open the head of it and take out that little pin-bar thingy.

mtbr member

Do it!

Go tubeless and never look back. The Bontrager setup makes it a snap. I use a mix of stans/slime in my ACXs and it works great. I was able to seat my tires with a low volume hand pump only (Silca) but had been riding the tires for a while before going tubeless. Many prefer a compressor.

The improved traction, compliance, and reduced rolling resistance are impressive. Add in the added benefit of thorn/pinch flat protection and I will never go back to tubes.

http://media.bontrager.com/owners_ma...eady_Tires.pdf

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    What ratio of slime mix to stans works best? Is there any merit to using the bontrager super juice? (last longer?) I suppose the slime is use for the little rubber strands in the mix...like glitter in some of the ghetto tubeless mixes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by liveyourbliss40
    What ratio of slime mix to stans works best? Is there any merit to using the bontrager super juice? (last longer?) I suppose the slime is use for the little rubber strands in the mix...like glitter in some of the ghetto tubeless mixes.
    I have been using 60/40 stans to slime. I haven't used super juice but have read that while it is great at sealing the casing for creating a fairly airtight seal, it's too thin to provide good thorn protection. Yes, that's the idea on the slime, to provide structure to seal small holes. The 29er forum has a good thread on home made versions of sealant, many of which include glitter.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    has anyone taken the SSR 29er rims on the hifi plus tubeless? Is all I need the rim strip valve and sealant - and compressor

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    On a 2010 HiFi with the Duster rims, would I need the Bontrager strips that are listed as:"Rhythm Tubeless Rim Strip-Symmetric" part number 406892 on Bontrager's website? The other 29'er rim strip shows as one for the RXL rims, and I just want to make sure I get the right one. I think i read in the forums here that the Dusters are the same as the Rhythm rims. I got lucky and a LBS about an hour away from me has both types.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Latent
    On a 2010 HiFi with the Duster rims, would I need the Bontrager strips that are listed as:"Rhythm Tubeless Rim Strip-Symmetric" part number 406892 on Bontrager's website? The other 29'er rim strip shows as one for the RXL rims, and I just want to make sure I get the right one. I think i read in the forums here that the Dusters are the same as the Rhythm rims. I got lucky and a LBS about an hour away from me has both types.
    buy the rhythem strips they are the right size for your duster wheels the rxl's are too narrow

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    The tubeless are great. You should also get a buy valve stems with removable cores such as the ones offered by Stans. When you need to add more sealant in a couple months you will not have to remove and reseat the tire.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks to everyone for the info on converting my HiFi to tubeless. Did the conversion this afternoon w/o any problems. I ended up using the bontrager rhythm strips, bontrager valves w/removable cores and stans sealant (LBS was out of super juice). I switched from XDX's to 29-3 Team Issues, as well. I manged to get them to seat with just a regular floor pump...man did they 'pop' into place! I wasn't expecting that, lol. I'm letting them sit overnight, but so far they seam to be holding pressure just fine. Hopefully tomorrow I can drop the pressure a bit and take them for a ride.

Thanks again for everyone's input. Much appreciated!