mtbr member
    Aug 2010

How long should an 09 Marlin last?

Sorry for a long post from a new guy. I purchased my first mountain bike in March, an 09 Marlin Disc. I rode trails almost daily and around 3 months and 650 miles I started having some shifting issues.

The bike would switch gears on its own, higher or lower mainly under heavy load, while i wasnt trying to switch gears. Then when i did try and switch gears it may jump multiple gears or none. Ive had it in to multiple bike shops. The bike doesnt seem to hold a tune for a week (3 to 5 rides). Each time the store replaces the rear derailleur cable and says that should fix it then says its a new cable it stretched.

Now 4 months/ 800 miles on the bike with 4 rear cables and 2 chains im stumped. Some bike stores say ive worn out the teeth on the rear cassette and chain rings others say they look fine.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Any feedback would help. Bike was cleaned and the chain lubed (white lightning clean ride) after every other ride. I can post pictures later also.
    Matt
    2010 riding
    2009 Fisher Marlin Disc - 815 miles
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite - 730 miles

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Did they check your derailleur hanger?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yes, sorry i forgot to mention that the hanger was checked and didnt need to be replaced.

AZ
    banned
    Use good low compression cables , check for proper cable routing and length . Sometimes a too short cable run will cause ghost shifting when the bars are turned , suspension extends/compresses etc . Keep cables properly cleaned and lubed . Good luck .
    Last edited by AZ; 08-13-2010 at 08:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    thanks for the advise. do you think upgrading the rear derailleur and cassette would help too?

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CWPspeed3
    thanks for the advise. do you think upgrading the rear derailleur and cassette would help too?

Upgrades wont help until you solve the problem at hand IMHO .

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Upgrades wont help until you solve the problem at hand IMHO .
    I was introducing a friend to riding this weekend and the bike performed well at that level. it only seems to be an issue while trying to run the bike hard or fast through the trail.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The chainrings and cassette shouldn't wear out that fast but if you shift under load then they will wear out much faster than normal.

Does the chain skip or jump on the front gears or only on the rear?
    The last time I had that issue I'd worn out the middle ring on the front and the little hooks you couldn't see were wrapping the chain up until it popped loose and really screwed with you. It only happened under load.

I ended up changing out the chainrings, the chain and the cassette. I had previously changed out the chain a couple times before it reached the 'worn out' stage.

I also had a bent deraileur cause ghost shifting. It had to be replaced.
    Brand new bike that I had about 20 hours of riding on at the time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    as my first mountain bike there was a bit of learning curve where i changed gears under load so i wouldnt be surprised it there was premature wear.

the skipping and jumping is primarily on the rear.

i looked into replacing the chainring but its the entry deore cranks and i wasnt sure if they were replaceable. i didnt see them listed online and the store i bought the bike at told me not to bother.

I've got roughly 70hrs and 800 miles on the bike so im sure it could need some parts i just wish the bike shop would tell me what it needed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CWPspeed3
    I've got roughly 70hrs and 800 miles on the bike so im sure it could need some parts i just wish the bike shop would tell me what it needed.
    Is your LBS any good? It seems like a problem that should be easy to diagnose.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Sounds like you need to invest in either the Park or Zinn bicycle maintenace books and some basic tools.

IF the cassette and/or chain isn't worn, the rear deraileur and/or dreaileur hanger aren't bent and the deraileur / shifter system is properly adjusted then you shouldn't be getting skipping on the rear. Since it isn't skipping on the front I doubt the chainrings are worn out to the point mine were. That's not saying they aren't worn but just that they aren't undercut yet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    the store i purchased it from has been no help. my local trek store is the one that just keeps replacing the cable and housing.

sounds like i should pick up a good maintenance book and try myself. i've been starting to accumulate some tools as well

mtbr member
    i had a similar issue with my cobia and my deraileur hanger was bent- just a tad but enough to screw things up. not saying this is your issue but someone should be able to figure it out.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL