mtbr member

How big can I go?

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on some BB7's for my stock 2010 Marlin. I see there are different sizes, and I am just wondering if anyone knows how to find out what is the biggest size I can go with? OR how can I find this out myself?

Is there an advantage to going with bigger rotors? What is a good setup big back/small front or big front/small back?

This is pretty much all I know....Shimano M65 hubs (disc compatible), Bontrager Camino rims 32h

Fork is compatible as well.

Last question would be, and just know that I only considered this for a brief second. Would you buy used BB7's off of ebay? Thought about it to help on cost, but the more that I thought about it the less I liked the idea.
    2010 Gary Fisher Marlin
    Upgrade-Wellgo MG-1 Pedals
    If you don't come back banged up and bruised, you didn't go hard enough!

At Work
    The rig came with 160mm f/r. I have a rig and no issues. Thought of putting an 185mm on the front. Larger rotor helps with stopping power and heat dissipation.
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku
    (Resurection in Progress)

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    You can go as big as you want, just make sure to buy the appropriate size adapter for your caliper. It is becoming common to go 180 front and 160 rear. If you have to contend with a lot of long and steep downhills you may want to go bigger still.

No I would not buy used as cheap as BB7 are today. Don't forget to buy some nice levers and high quality cables to maximize brake performance.