Thread: HiFi Deluxe?

mtbr member

HiFi Deluxe?

Looking for a great singletrack bike that can do a lot of stuff. Can't afford Rumblefish 1 so I'm down to either an Fuel EX8 (26er) or HiFi Deluxe (29er). I was leaning toward the Fuel Ex because the extra travel will allow me to do a little bit of moderate downhill, hit some trail jumps, and it just looks like a singletrack machine. Ive heard the Hi-Fi is pretty much a straight up XC/Race bike. Anybody have experience with a HiFi that would say otherwise?

Thanks all. Buying a bike is probably the hardest decision Ive made in quite some time =)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I can make a few comments. While I don't have a Hi-Fi, I do have an EX7 and a Paragon. For twisty single track with some switch back climbs, I find both bikes capable. I've had a slight harder time on the Paragon, but I think its because it carries the speed so much more on the down hills, I nearly overshoot corners. Small log piles, logs, and rocks are easier with the Paragon because the big wheels just roll over/on things better. The EX7/8 with the full suspension will ride smoother on the roots and rocks. A 26FS has a smoother ride than a 29HT. The 29FS will be even smoother.

For the Hi-Fi, I'd say its a good XC and race bike, and a good singletrack bike, but maybe not the downhill or jump type bike your looking for.

Hopefully some of the Hi-Fi owners will respond.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I appreciate your take. I actually switched from a 26 Giant to a 29 Gary Fisher X-Cal and the difference was very noticeable. I was much faster, could climb much better, and just FLY over rocks on the X-Cal. I've really been considering the EX 8, but have been very hesitant about switching back to a 26. The rumblefish might be perfect for me, but the 1 is just a little too pricey. I'm really thinking about the HiFi, especially since I'm not throwing out the possibility of getting into racing. That's really kind of what its coming down to for me. Both are good trail bikes, one is more XC, one can take a little more punishment on drops/small jumps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

HI FI or Fuel

I have a 09 Hi Fi 26er and I think it's more of a all around trail bike than a XC racer. You sit fairly upright on the Hi Fi. and it's more relaxed then say my 07 Caliber which has you really stretched out.

I ride technical singletrack and the HI Fi is a fantastic ride for me. It goes where i point it and does what I want it to do. No suprises.

I get maybe a foot off the ground at most (whoo hoo) and it provides a nice cushy landing.

I can't say what a Hi Fi 29er is like as I've never ridden one.

Good luck, both bikes are winners.

FC

Trying not to kill myself
    I agree that the HiFi is more of an all arounder than a hardcore race bike. It's not very different from the Rumblefish other than the longer suspension travel. I run mine with a 2.4F and 2.24R Ardent tires and some riser bars, and it's a great trail bike. I weigh around 190 and it feels plenty rugged to me, though I'm not much into jumping. Overall it's definitely much more upright and comfortable than something like an Epic.

A buddy of mine has a Fuel EX-7 and I wouldn't trade my HiFi for it in a million years. I love the 29" wheels and they make the rooty, rocky trails around here a lot more fun. And you still get the benefit of the excellent ABP system with the GF.

mtbr member
    The HiFi can be a good race bike but its also a great trail bike.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I have a 2011 HiFi Deluxe 9er and what everyone has said is accurate. I have mine setup more of a trail bike with wider tires and less pressure in the shocks and tires and just float over the rough stuff. If you want to race put better rolling tires on it and pump the shocks up a little.

I don't do jumps or down hills with boulders, but what I do in N. Ga is rocky with a ton roots not to mention mud in the winter and it flies over that stuff.

I came from a stumpy hard tail and there is no going back.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have a 2010 Hifi Plus and although it's a good bike in and of itself I think it was blown away in the twisties by my Anthem X 29er. When I was riding riding the Hifi Plus I could keep up with my friends through the switchbacks on their 26 inch bikes,I just had to work really hard. While on my Giant Anthem X 29er I was able to follow them through the same switchbacks with much less effort. I attribute the difference to the thru axle fork or the lack thereof in the entire Hifi line.

If I were you I would probably look at the Rumblefish(not I or II) or the Anthem X3 29er. Not having a thru axle fork is a major oversight on a bike that costs 2K. I ended up spending $700 to buy a new wheel and a Reba Team Maxle fork for the Hifi Plus,was worth it: absolutely. However in retrospect I probably would have been much better off just getting a 2010 Rumblefish I. In fact the bike even accelerates more quickly with the new fork/wheel combination!

The Hifi Deluxe is a good bike but it will never reach it's true potential without a thru axle fork. This is a huge oversight on Trek's part. I would suggest looking at the Rumblefish (not the I or II) or the Anthem X 29er,which also comes standard with boost valve and a t/a fork.

I hate that name.
    It is not an oversight so much as staying true to their (current) vision of what an XC bike should be. They seem to believe (for now) that XC bikes should have open dropouts, so that is what all the hardtails, HiFis, and SF100s have. But opinions can change... hopefully.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallejo View Post
    Looking for a great singletrack bike that can do a lot of stuff. Can't afford Rumblefish 1 so I'm down to either an Fuel EX8 (26er) or HiFi Deluxe (29er). I was leaning toward the Fuel Ex because the extra travel will allow me to do a little bit of moderate downhill, hit some trail jumps, and it just looks like a singletrack machine. Ive heard the Hi-Fi is pretty much a straight up XC/Race bike. Anybody have experience with a HiFi that would say otherwise?

Thanks all. Buying a bike is probably the hardest decision Ive made in quite some time =)
    I have the 2011 Hifi Deluxe and love it. I think it is a great XC/light trail bike. I only weigh 150 pounds fully geared, so I can easily do 2-3 foot jumps with no problems. The RumbleFish is a sturdier bike built for either heavier trails or larger riders (15mm thru axle, longer travel, etc), but there's also a $500 and 3 pound penalty compared to the Hifi Deluxe. At my weight the Rumblefish would have been wasted money and weight.

All things being equal a 15mm thru axle is nice, but probably un-necessary. My experience is you have to get a 20mm thru axle to tell a difference. There are so many other factors involved in front-end stiffness that its probably difficult to attribute it to any one factor. Gary Fisher has been making 29ers as long as anyone. I also looked at the Giant Anthem, but the geometry wasn't as good for me and the bike seemed sluggish compared to the Hifi. I'm more interested in performance than specs, but to each their own.
    Last edited by Coop1969; 06-26-2011 at 08:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I too have the '11 HiFi Deluxe, and it is a great all around bike, except for the drivetrain. The Shimano hype-sys stuff came off after the first ride, replaced by an X9 26/39 crank and front deraillier, along with Thumbies and TT 500 shifters. The shifter swap was overkill on my part, but I figured if I was going full 2x10 I might as well do it right. You can get an X7 2x front shifter to replace the 3x version. I also replaced the post and stem with Thomson stuff that I already had, but the OEM stuff is fine. The bike is very agile for tight, technical singletrack, and the more time I spend on the G2 stuff the more I like it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have a '10 HiFi Deluxe and I am fairly happy with it. I bought it new this past November. The '11s were out, but I thought it was cool to go with the "last" year Fisher (although I don't think we've heard the last of Fisher bikes).

Anyway, the bike is an awesome trail bike. I am 185lbs and it is great for typical singletrack. It rolls over rocks/roots extremely well, it climbs well and it is more than sufficient on small jumps. The only issue I had was the ridiculous bars that came stock on the bike. The sweep felt more like a cruiser and I always had the sensation I was too far over the bars. Changed the bars and life is good.