Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hifi Deluxe!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Hifi Deluxe!

Well I made the decision and bought the HIFI Deluxe yesterday. Rode it for the first time today and the transition from 26 to 29er full suspension is much easier than I thought. I found that I was riding most of the day in propedal mode and then would open it up on downhills so might need to adjust air pressure. The bike can really fly and for the majority of my riding the HIFI suits my needs betters than the Rumblefish.

Mods so far are (1) Time ATAC pedals, (2) Easton Monkey Lite Bar, (3) Thomson seatpost, (4) Rocket V seat, and (5) Raceface bashguard.

Can't wait to get back on the trail.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Congrats on the new bike, I'm sure you will love it. Having just purchased the Deluxe as well, I'd be interested to know why you made each of your modifications and what benefits you see from them (except the bash guard). If it is just for the weight savings, how much did it add up to?
    Last edited by adrjones; 05-09-2010 at 08:39 PM.

Pirate!!!
    you are gunna love it!! i've got about 100 miles on my new hifi and its great. I also changed to monkey light bars right away, and I was trying to let the seat grow on me, butt it is going to go very soon. ouch!!

mtbr member
    Awesome!
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Regarding the mods, everything but the handlebars was actually from my old bike so it saved some weight but also provided for a smooth transition. I added the handlebars because I couldn't stand the "big sweep" bars. As far as weight savings, I haven't weighed the bike yet but will let you know. I plan on putting a XT crank on this week and am debating between an Easton or Thomson stem...not a huge fan of bontrager parts haha.

Did you all decide to go tubeless? I am still debating.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Personally I have not made any mods to the bike yet and haven't decided if I am going to go tubeless or not. I am pretty happy with the bike as it stands but then again I don't have a lot of experience with customizing and modding out a bike either. I'm on the lookout for good suggestions though. My guy at the LBS said the biggest upgrade for weight savings would be the wheels/tires. Anyone else know which pieces on the Deluxe could save the most weight on by upgrading?

Tende
    Dec 2004
    Just purchased a Rumblefish I and did similar upgrades (Thompson setback post, Monkeylite XC bars, eggbeater pedals, Fisik saddle). Also planning on installing a single ring SLX crank. Wheels would probably result in the greatest improvement, but the cost of entry is so high. And which ones?

mtbr member
    you definitely need to do tubeless. you will lose a TONE of weight and you can run 20PSI and have super traction and not have to worry about pinch flats.

Pirate!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasontech
    you definitely need to do tubeless. you will lose a TONE of weight and you can run 20PSI and have super traction and not have to worry about pinch flats.
    Realy??? Is tubeless that much better? I have the hifi pro and it's ready, I'm wondering if it's realy worth it?

mtbr member
    YES it is way worth it. you will have less rolling resistance due to the weight removed by removing your tubes. and you can run less pressure so you will have better traction. and if you ride over thorn's or something like that the Sealant you use will seal the hole. If you were running tubes you would be walking.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Tubeless sounds like the way to go...should I go with Bontrager version or Stans no tubes?

Putting on the XT crank tomorrow and I will weigh it before and after I go tubeless.

mtbr member
    Stan's. I have the bontrager rim strips in my RIG SS and I have the Stans in my Super Fly 100 and I like the weight savings with the Stan's Tape.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    So just weighed the bike after installing the XT cranks and it is 29.07 pounds so not too bad. Next on the list is the tubeless set up.

How much are the HIFI Pros and Superfly 100s weighing?

mtbr member
    Here's the weight of my Superfly 100 Large:

This is with Tubes.

Pirate!!!
    My hifi pro's weight is about 28lbs stock. It feels lighter than that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cobb
    My hifi pro's weight is about 28lbs stock. It feels lighter than that.
    Thats interesting. My Deluxe is 28.8.

Pirate!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by josh8
    Thats interesting. My Deluxe is 28.8.
    I think shop scales vary. I'd like a second opion because It feels lighter than my 26lb hardtail

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cobb
    I think shop scales vary. I'd like a second opion because It feels lighter than my 26lb hardtail
    What scale where you using? Mine was weighed on an Ultimate scale.

mtbr member
    Found a shop with a Deluxe and a Plus in my size. The Deluxe seems like a much better bang for the buck. Component spec on it seems about perfect. I probably wouldn't change anything from stock except to get a WTB seat, set back Thompson post, and lock on grips. Maybe the pedals since I use SPD's now.

Soooo tempted. They want 2500, I've been hoping to find a closeout on a FS 29er somewhere and get away with 1500-1800, but I really like this bike. Doesn't help everything 29er is suddenly impossible to find.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I changed a few things on the Deluxe but I def think it had better parts for the price compared to the plus. Also try to haggle with the bike shop because I was able to get my Deluxe for 2220.00!

Here is pic of bike with all of the upgrades including the most recent: (1) XT Crank and (2) Thomson Stem. I think I am done upgrading for the time being but who knows haha...rims and tires might be next!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hifi Deluxe!-img_0875.jpg  

mtbr member
    Very nice, what size is yours?

I'm so bad at haggling. I feel rude or something. What did you say? Just "can I have it for cheaper?" haha. I'm going to think about it and make a decision in the next two weeks if it is still there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It is a large.

I was lucky and another shop an hour away had the bike priced at 2220.00. The problem was the bike was not available anymore and they were sold out. I went to the store I got the bike from and asked if they price matched. I told them another store would sell it for 2220.00 but they were out of stock. I told him I really would like to support his business and that I was prepared to buy the bike at that point. It also helps to sweeten the deal if you offer to pay in cash but it wasn't necessary in this situation.

I walked out the door with my new bike in hand and an extra 300.00 to do some upgrades.

Good luck!

Pirate!!!
    I got my pro for 2969.10 that felt pretty good! my only complaint is the seat,,it huurrtts!!
    --josh8 I dont know what scale the shop used to wiegh my bike, but if it's wrong they should fix it! it would be in there best interest..

mtbr member
    Hm, well, the place that had a Deluxe and a Plus in my size now just have the plus. Still not feeling the difference in price on those specs, but given the demand on these bikes I have a feeling I won't be able to get a lower price. I knew that Deluxe was likely to sell, but I couldn't make it out to that shop. I'm going to be in the area tomorrow though and I'll check out the Plus for the hell of it. I do like the paint job on the Plus better at least.

I guess I could also wait for July and ask if they are expecting more HiFi's, sounds like mid summer will be the last GF shipments for 2010.

mtbr member
    All 2010 HiFi's are sold out down the line.... If you don't get the Plus you will have to wait until August/September to get a 2011.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast