mtbr member

Hifi Deluxe 29 or Hifi Plus 29

The white color is turning me away from the Deluxe model. I like black but are the components on the Deluxe all that better than what's on the Plus model? Well of course it is that's why the Deluxe is more expensive. Yes, I know this but does it make that much difference? What's your opinion.

Plastic homer
    I went with the Plus in my '08. I am a big SRAM fan, and my bike came with X7, which I have upgraded to X9 with parts on sale. The Deoure FD remains. Forks and frames are the same - I did upgrade to mikesee's custom wheels, but that would have happended to any HiFi I got, regardless of grade.

Save the money and get riding - I like white, but my green one would have definitely looked better in the '09 black, for my taste. The bike is so good now, though, that even the green is beautiful.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeD
    The white color is turning me away from the Deluxe model. I like black but are the components on the Deluxe all that better than what's on the Plus model? Well of course it is that's why the Deluxe is more expensive. Yes, I know this but does it make that much difference? What's your opinion.
    I have 26" but pondered the same question not to long ago.

Think a few months down the road, are you going to wish you bought the Deluxe? Are you going to wish you had the upgraded brakes? The upgraded rear derailleur? The Upgraded front suspension?

A pal of mine told me, "Dude, I know you. If you get the plus, you are going to wish you got the deluxe. For the amount you are spending, is it really that big of a deal to spend a few hundred extra?"

That is me. I am INSANELY HAPPY with the 26" deluxe. I think I am happier then I would have with the plus.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Go with the Pro!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The color of the frame can always be changed, minimized, or just flat out ignored. If you buy the white, and after a while it really bothers you - send it off to a powder coater or painter. The rear end will give you problems because it's carbon - but every other part can be made what ever color you choose. Take a look at the components and see what you really want.

A friend of mine told me - save your pennies and buy the one you want - anything else is just going to never be right... If the less expensive version is the one you really want - you're doing better then most people...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The white color is turning me away from the Deluxe model. What's your opinion.
    Well, my white Paragon is awesome! I'm not sure if the white on the hi-fi is pearlescent like it is on the paragon though.
    09 GF Paragon

Sweeper
    09 Deluxe 29'er here. I went with it b/c I wanted the SRAM group not Shimano that came with the Pro. Upgrade wheelset and crank to XT and love the bike!

The white on my hi-fi is very '"pearl"....

mtbr member

Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by Twenty Times
    I have 26" but pondered the same question not to long ago.

Think a few months down the road, are you going to wish you bought the Deluxe? Are you going to wish you had the upgraded brakes? The upgraded rear derailleur? The Upgraded front suspension?

A pal of mine told me, "Dude, I know you. If you get the plus, you are going to wish you got the deluxe. For the amount you are spending, is it really that big of a deal to spend a few hundred extra?"

That is me. I am INSANELY HAPPY with the 26" deluxe. I think I am happier then I would have with the plus.
    I think your post has done it for me. I always try to get the best components that my money will buy. I'm able to afford the Deluxe but just wasn't sure if the component level was that great of a difference. I'm new to hydraulic brakes and did not know if the Hayes were better or say much better than the Juicy 3's. Along with the other components I think I'm going with the Deluxe. The truth will be told next Saturday when I borrow the LBS owners bike and take a test ride on it. Thanks to all for your replies.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I had the same dilemma.
    The important stuff : Frame, shock & fork are the same on both bikes.
    Color- the Plus is nicer IMO. It's a metallic black which looks amazing in the sun. The pic's don't do this color justice. Didn't like the white on the Deluxe.
    Brakes - I actually prefer the Avid Juicy's on the Plus. Don't like the Hayes on the Deluxe.
    Wheels - The Rhythm on the Deluxe are probably lighter.
    Other than theses specs I guess all the other component differences between the 2 models don't matter ride-wise (meaning, who really feels the difference between X7 or X9 rear der ?).

So, I ended up with this.
    It's an upgraded Plus model (wheels :Rhythm comp, cassette - Sram PC 990 for weight saving , Joplin remote seat post for the technical stuff . and seat).
    Also thought I will need to upgrade the handlebar. The spec's on fisher's website was Bontrager Race 620mm, which is too narrow, and the Deluxe spec was Race lite 640mm which actually showed up on my bike). Other than that pedals are crank bros Candy SL.
    This is my second Hifi 29er. Had one in 2008 and sold it for a AM 26" bike. Have been missing the HiFi since. It's light, it's fast, and the big wheels make up a lot on the technical stuff where 26er's need longer suspension.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PizzaMan; 04-28-2009 at 08:45 AM. Reason: photo upload

mtbr member
    Very Nice Pizzaman

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I have a 08 deluxe the blue is ok at best but the black on your is sweet maybe I will have to craigslist my rafter queen-cannondale jekyll and pick up another fisher 29er

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Just curious, what is that cable that runs to the seat?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by derango
    Just curious, what is that cable that runs to the seat?
    It's an adjustable seat post. You can adjust seat height on the fly via a handlebar mounted lever. The cable connects this lever mounted on the bar to the seat post. It's mainly used for technical riding where you want to lower your seat on the downhill rough stuff and then pop it up again for a climb.

mtbr member

White Deluxe it is

I just got the GF HiFi Deluxe 29er. I can say that I'm very happy with my choice. White or not, the ride I get from it makes up for the color. I'm getting used to the color. I can't believe how even some of the tougher climbs are now more do-able. It is the first F/S bike I've owned and wish I got one earlier. I'll have to get some pictures up along side my new GF Rig Frame that came in the same time I got my Deluxe. Yea, I broke my 2008 Rig Frame. On the positive side I got the color I wanted....2009 Matte Root Beer. All I can say now is....YEA BABY!!!

Sweeper
    The Pearl White has grown on me.
    Attached Images Attached Images