mtbr member

hifi creaks and wobbles

Hey, anyone ever grab the hifi at the seatpost and the rear wheel and find a lot of play when you shake it side to side? I don't think its my wheel. I tried this on another hifi on the trail last night and his does the same thing. It feels like a loose wheel but its not loose. It also creaks like a pop can constantly.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Check all pivot bolts.

mtbr member
    Check them for what? I had them off recently to clean the squeaks out and put back together and the play is still there. They are tight enough. Could they be worn out? The play has been there a long time. I just ride through it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimonthecake
    Check them for what? I had them off recently to clean the squeaks out and put back together and the play is still there. They are tight enough. Could they be worn out? The play has been there a long time. I just ride through it.
    There should be flex but no play. Sounds like you've got worn bushings. My HiFi is pretty new, and there is play at the rear shock mount. Since it's so new it can't be wear but may be the DU bushing or the shock bolt is machined to the wrong dimension.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Take a good look at the swing arm. That's what mine usually sounds like when it breaks.

mtbr member
    Yep, I'm on my 3rd swing arm. I wonder where I'll be this time when it breaks.
    And I am about to replace the du bushings for 2nd time to take care of the up/down play.
    The side play really sounds like a loose wheel but its not.