Steel is Real

New question here. Headset Spacing on GF Cake 1 DLX

So I'm 99% finished my first ground-up build; it's been a learning experience, but well worth it.

My question is: How much spacing is used on the headset? I realize this can be completely subjective to personal preference, but I'm curious as to what the factory spacing would be, and what everyone else is spacing at, and also dependent on the fork travel, stem, and bar.

For info, I have a Cane Creek S-3 headset, Salsa 15 degree stem, and Race Face carbon low-rise xc bar.

Steel is Real

Spacing

On my old cake, I had 10mm spacer below my stem which was +/- 6 degrees, and above was a 6mm and 4mm. 120mm fork. The spacers were stock and the handlebar was an Easton EA50 low-rise with a 31.8 clamp.

Is the entire bike custom? Do you have any pics?

Steel is Real
    Quote Originally Posted by Boberinoe
    On my old cake, I had 10mm spacer below my stem which was +/- 6 degrees, and above was a 6mm and 4mm. 120mm fork. The spacers were stock and the handlebar was an Easton EA50 low-rise with a 31.8 clamp.
    Seems like a lot of spacers; I guess I'll have to ride and adjust as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Boberinoe
    Is the entire bike custom? Do you have any pics?
    Yup, custom from the ground up. I will have pics, shortly, after I figure out my steerer tube length.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I have a cake 2dlx, and can take any measurements as needed, its exaclt the same as your except little bit cheaper components

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I have an S-8 heasdset BTW

Steel is Real
    Quote Originally Posted by mastercycleman
    I have a cake 2dlx, and can take any measurements as needed, its exaclt the same as your except little bit cheaper components
    LOL I appreciate the response, but that totally does not answer my question.

As it stands now, I'm using 3x 5mm spacers and 1x 3mm spacers; these were all the spacers included in the Cane Creek S-3 set. If I need to, I can remove spacers and cut the steerer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I run 40mm of stack under the stem, which is a shorty at 75mm, and a king earl riser bar. For me this gets my hand position approx the same height as the saddle, which is where I like it.
    Anyone who rides a bike is a friend of mine.
    My favorite bike is whatever I am riding.
    My favorite trail is where ever I am.
    Bikes and equipment are replaceable, friends and trails are not.

Double-metric mtb man
    The stock setup on an '06 Cake 2 DLX is 30 mm of spacers below the stem (Float 130R). I've changed my spacers out for some nicer (match the bike) and lighter ones, but the 30 mm stack height works well for me with the 105mm 7degree stock stem.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me