mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Headset and Fork questions on a 09 Wahoo

I am wanting to upgrade my 09 Wahoo. The stock headset ( Cane Creek 1-1/8" threadless, semi-integrated, semi-cartridge bearings ) on these are cheap plastic pieces and get loose about every ride.

Also wanting to know if it is work upgrading my fork as well. Right now it has this.

Suntour SF9-XCM-V2, 100mm travel, custom G2 Geometry 46mm offset crown, hydraulic lockout

I have a budget of about $150 to try to upgrade both.

I dont need the best shock availible. I was thinking of a Dart3. As far as the headset goes I dont need the best availible either. I was thinking of getting a S3.

Any foreseeable problems with the above?
    Last edited by mojotrick; 06-26-2010 at 10:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mojotrick
    I am wanting to upgrade my 09 Wahoo. The stock headset ( Cane Creek 1-1/8" threadless, semi-integrated, semi-cartridge bearings ) on these are cheap plastic pieces and get loose about every ride.

Also wanting to know if it is work upgrading my fork as well. Right now it has this.

Suntour SF9-XCM-V2, 100mm travel, custom G2 Geometry 46mm offset crown, hydraulic lockout

I have a budget of about $150 to try to upgrade both.

I dont need the best shock availible. I was thinking of a Dart3. As far as the headset goes I dont need the best availible either. I was thinking of getting a S3.

Any foreseeable problems with the above?
    I really don't see any problems with switching them out. Try asking your LBS if they can hook you up with a G2 specific front fork. They probably can. and those cane creek headsets are kinda shiite. I think the only problem you could have is switching out the front fork, but even the LBS could make that a non issue.

IMO, The suntour fork isn't bad at all. The only complaint I had when I had my 2009 wahoo was that it sags way too much when i'm pedaling. The hydraulic lockout really keeps that fork locked though

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I just foun dout the S3 headset wont work on my Wahoo since it is a semi integrated headset type.

anyone change their headset yet on 09-10 wahoo?

AZ
    banned
    IS3 should work .

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I was looking at the IS3. I guess i will need to make sure and measure my head tube. Good thing I just bought me a new digital caliper....

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Looks like the IS3 wont fit either. I just checked the cane creek site and they recommend the 1-1/8" Zero Stack ZS Standard

Put this bandit hat on.
    I upgraded the headset on my '10 wahoo to the FSA Orbit Z i got for $15. Works good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I ordered a Cane Creek Z3 headset that I got for 26 bucks on ebay. Haven't gotten it yet. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Just installed the CC Z3 headset last night. Alot better than the crap open ball bearing set that came on the bike stock. Glad I did it. Went smooth and I used some tools I made myself to install them. No sense in spending hundreds on Park Tools.....: )

EDIT:

Here is the link for the tool I made........

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...66#post7102166
    Last edited by mojotrick; 07-10-2010 at 06:49 AM.