mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Giving up on my HiFi29er... Will the G2 fork work on a non-G2 frame?

After a year and a half of constant problems with my Hifi (including a frame replacement and 4 sets of brakes), I am ready to write it off as a terrible purchase, and buy a new 29er frame. No one seems able to permanently fix the problems with this bike.

I plan to swap over as many components as I can to whichever new frame I buy, but how will the G2 fork feel on a frame not designed for a G2 fork? Will it ride funny, or will I notice anything at all?

If I don't have to buy a new fork, I can spend more on the frame, which will give me more to choose from.

Trail Cubist
    Man, I guess I'm just easy on bikes...or some GF bikes are rock-solid and others aren't. I've been riding the pee out of my HiFi Pro, and it's been bombproof. Not a single issue.

Scott
    29er wheels are dangerous. They may cause you to go faster which can result in serious bodily injury. —Jim311

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwhippet
    After a year and a half of constant problems with my Hifi (including a frame replacement and 4 sets of brakes), I am ready to write it off as a terrible purchase, and buy a new 29er frame. No one seems able to permanently fix the problems with this bike.
    Can you elaborate what your problems are with the bike?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    4 sets of brakes doesn't sound like a bike problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It's not really relevant to my question - I just want to know if a G2 fork will ride ok on a non-G2 frame - but here's a very condensed version of my problems with my bike and it's components. And yes, the 4 sets of brakes *is* at least partly a bike problem, as they were deemed "incompatible with the frame" by both Avid and Trek.

I have lost confidence in this bike and just want to move on. Can someone tell me if I can use the G2 fork on a non-G2 29er? Will I notice a difference compared to a non-G2 fork?

I bought a 2008 Hifi Plus 29er with Juicy 3s in March 2009. The rear brake failed within 4 months and was replaced with an identical Juicy 3. From then on, the bike had terrible vibration/honking/howling noises. I tried different pads, different rotors, different sized rotors, but couldn't make the noise go away. Realigned the caliper, check the torques of all bolts & suspension points, had the wheels double checked... Nothing worked.

I then bought new brakes - Elixir 5s, thinking the problem was the brake. The noise went away for 1 ride, then came back full force. Took it back to the shop and they discovered a crack in the frame (in the chainstay joint behind the bottom bracket). Got a 2009 Hifi Pro 29er as a warranty replacement, and moved all the components over.

The bike was *almost* quiet for about 3 rides, then while on a mt bike vacation, the vibration & noise came back full force again. I tried attaching various weights to the caliper, as many people have found that to fix the problem, but it did not work.

I was in contact with Gary Fisher tech support and Avid tech support but no one would take ownership of the problem. Luckily I have had good support from two LBS's & eventually the local Trek Rep.

I happened to meet the local Trek Rep at a bike event and told him my story of woe. He got me a new set of Shimano SLX brakes, which made everything good for a few months.

Now the bike is making creaking noises and cluncking feelings again, and has started to vibrate and howl again when the rear brake is applied.

Additionally, prior to the frame/brake vibration issues, I had to have the fork rebuilt twice within 2 months of buying the bike, due to a faulty rebound seal. I realize this is not a Fisher specific issue, but as a component spec'd on the bike, it contributes to the experience.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    you should be ok with a non g2 fork. it depends on how comfortable you are with the new handling characteristics (ymmv). the steering is supposed to be snappier. this was the reason behind the g2 fork offset since some claimed that the 29ers handled slugglishly.

here's the thread with more info:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...17549#poststop

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks! I'll check out that link.

I hate that name.
    Yes, a G2 fork on a non-G2 frame will steer faster, more twitchy like, than a normal fork on the same frame would. Basically, study the geometry of the frames you are considering. If you find one with the same or nearly same head angle, it will feel similar, as long as it is designed for the same amount of travel/axle to crown. I rode for a few months on a G2 fork on a 2006 Fisher 293 which came with a 38mm offset Reba. Razor sharp steering.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

Trail Cubist
    Hi cxwhippet—sounds like you've already made up your mind...but the second you mentioned a howling noise coming from the bike, I thought you might have had the same problem I did. See this thread...

Low-Pitched HOWLING---how to stop it???

Basically, I discovered the howling in my bike was from the frame (specifically the chainstay) vibrating like a tuning fork. While riding downhill and braking (and while the bike was howling like mad) the noise would stop completely when I pressed my sneaker against the chainstay.

So my solution was to wrap an old road tube around the chainstay...presto! Howling noise gone. The bike's been fine ever since.

Scott
    29er wheels are dangerous. They may cause you to go faster which can result in serious bodily injury. —Jim311

Charm City Cowboys
    i popped my fisher G2 Piranhas tora shock on my 07 specialized epic build and it worked out fine for me. Its funny i had the same worry before i did as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hi Scott,

Sounds like we have pretty much the same problem. The whole bike becomes a loud tuning fork. Unfortunately, I have already tried wrapping the chainstay in a tube, and then wrapping the whole rear triangle in a tube, but that didn't work for me. It slightly changed the tone of the howl, but didn't eliminate the howl or vibration.

The most frustrating part of the whole thing is that the bike always seems to screw up right before a trip or big ride I've been planning for months. I can't rely on it working properly when I need it to. At this point I think changing to an entirely different frame design is the only option.

Thanks to everyone who has responded with information or experiences with their G2 forks on other frames.

|i|
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwhippet

I plan to swap over as many components as I can to whichever new frame I buy, but how will the G2 fork feel on a frame not designed for a G2 fork? Will it ride funny, or will I notice anything at all?

If I don't have to buy a new fork, I can spend more on the frame, which will give me more to choose from.
    I've used a G2 fork on a Ventana frame and it worked beautifully. It shouldn't be a problem.
    Trek 6000-Planet X-SC Heckler-Turner Burner-Indy Fab-Ventana El Comandante-Cannondale Rize-Intense Spider-C'dale F29 Carbon

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    2 different frames and 3 different brakes...I am willing to be it is not the frame or the brakes.