mtbr member
    Aug 2010

GF Paragon input wanted

Well, first a quick background. I got back in to biking about 4 years ago starting on the road. Last year I bought a Diamondback Overdriver 29'er as the price was right and didn't know how much I would enjoy mountain biking - especially here in Iowa. Well, over the last year I have decided I like mountain biking much more so than riding on the road. Even riding the mountain bike on bike trails for fun rides is better than riding the road bike.

Anyway, did the Silver Rush 50 this year on the Diamondback, although did not finish. Decided to sell the bike in anticipation of upgrading. Well, I did sell the bike, but have yet to get a replacement, but am still looking. Originally was going to go with a '10 or '11 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29'er from the LBS that I normally work with, but recently moved and not as close to that LBS any more. Stopped in the LBS close to where I live and they carry Trek, Giant, and GF Collection. Talked to one of their employees who is the service manager and avid mountain biker. Talked about the GF X-Cal and Paragon as my budget is somewhere around that $2000 range (could get a '10 Stumpy 29'er for $1600). Anyway, talked extensively about the bike, the fact they could go tubeless at no extra cost, go to a 2x10 setup for little to no cost, replace stock saddle if wanted, etc and very willing to work with me on stuff. Got a good feeling.

So, I am looking for any and all input from Paragon owners. I did ride a '10 model Paragon and it is leaps and bounds above the Diamondback. LOVE the SRAM X7/X9 components so any bike I get better have SRAM on it. Would look at doing SRAM X9 front derrailure, crank set and shifter for the 2x10 setup to match the X9 rear setup.

Just looking for any and all input on the Paragon, especially any comparisons to the Stumpy. And, yes, mind is set and will be getting another 29'er!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have an '10 X-cal, not the Paragon. They are similar bikes, with the Paragon having a few more upgrades. I love the bike. It is very comfortable to ride and the 29er tires give confidence on the trails. The only thing I don't like are the brakes. They are noisy and vibrate. I did some searching on this site and it looks like AVID has a fix (new smooth rotor) if you give them a call and work through your dealer. Maybe this was fixed for the '11 model year.

I took my old mtn bike out last week and didn't realize how uncomfortable it was. I always thought it was comfortable until getting used to the X-cal.

Try to get some seat time on the Paragon, it's a really nice bike.

Glenn

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have had a little time on it. Was really impressed with how light it felt, how well it rolled, and how responsive it was. Definitely closer to the Specialized Rockhopper 26 than my slow and heavy Diamonback 29'er. Was really impressed with it. But have yet to ride the Specialized Stumpjumper 29'er for a Stumpy to Paragon comparison.

And still wonder how the GF will feel on the trail, at least compared to the Diamonback. The Diamondback wasn't bad and I feel it made me a better rider quicker having to ride that brick around and time for something better.

Thank you for that input. Oh, and I think for the '11 model there are a few more differences between the Paragon and X-Cal models than there were for '10.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric91Z
    Thank you for that input. Oh, and I think for the '11 model there are a few more differences between the Paragon and X-Cal models than there were for '10.
    I agree. I think the front fork change on the X-Cal was a major downgrade for 2011. The Fox unit is really nice.

The more bikes you can test ride the better. I have been to a couple of LBS around me and most are out of stock on 29ers. One claimed they don't expect the 2011's until November.

It's a lot of money to spend, so take your time.

Glenn

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yup, both the GF and Specialized LBS's said November time frame for the '11's. So may wait for Spring and go from there.