mtbr member

Gary Fisher sizing

Sorry I know this is kind of a noob question, but.

Is the sizing on GF bikes different than other bikes or it just an illusion because of the G2 geometry. I already pre-ordered a GF HiFi from the local shop but they said they will have plenty of 17.5 and 19 when i come in next week. Now I ride a 19" Rocky Mountain, but the guy at my LBS told me i'd probably want a 17.5. He's the same size and measurements as me, almost exactly and he rides a 17.5.

I looked it up online and the 17.5 HiFi has the same Top Tube Length as the 19" Rocky Mountain Fusion. So is the sizing different between GF and other companies, or is the longer TT just because of the G2.

I'm a bit torn on sizes because I test rode the 2008 HiFi Deluxe and the 17.5 felt a bit small and the 19" felt a bit big.

mtbr member
    yeah, it's always odd comparing bikes with a different geometry. i did find a 21" usually fit me better with non-G2 26ers; however, a 19" fit me best on a G2 29er. could be the geometry or the 29er or both.

just ride each size enough to see which works best for you- also remember to get recommendations of the lbs regarding what to swap out to make a better fit- stems, bars, etc. they can usually do that with parts laying around.

good luck! exciting!
    - 1995 Giant ATX 890
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL

mtbr member
    ya the guys at the shop said they will make sure the bike fits and they will swap stems for free if they need to.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I am 5'11 (longs arms and legs) and I just ordered a 2010 X-CAL in a 19" I am truly an 18" but im not sure if its the big wheels but the 19" that I rode felt good. I know I will have to change out a stem. but the stock one I rode felt good.