Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Gary Fisher Roscoe Owners.....

41K views 102 replies 30 participants last post by  ferrettank 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I'm just wondering how many of you have managed to crack your frame?

After a weekend and a race in Wales i've cleaned the bike to find a crack through the drive-side chainstay, at the front of the furthest forward cable boss, just about where the big chainring ends. The frame it little over a year old.

The problem is, there is already a little damage on that exact area of the frame due to chain-suck, I don't think it's likely to have contributed to the crack as i've heard of a few frames cracking in this spot before.

What are people's thoughts on Trek being likely to honour the warranty despite this chain-suck scraping? I won't be back in south England where the frame was purchased for a few weeks so thought i'd find opinions here beforehand.

And how many people of you have cracked the frame in this area?

Cheers

Joe

here's a few pics of the crack...

EDIT: 3rd and 4th pictures added after second crack was found in undamaged area

Attachments

See less See more
#30 ·
New Roscoe owner

Just picked up a new leftover 2010 Roscoe 1 for $1,500 for my son. I'm thinking that's a pretty darn good deal for this bike? (shop has 1 left in 17.5 size and also a 2010 Roscoe 3 15" but local pickup only in MA)

Anyway, besides the cracking problem on the swingarm (bike has full warranty so that's good) what other issues or things should I be checking or watching out for on this bike? Any special hardware to be closely watching?

I'm removing the outer ring for a bash guard and was wondering about the XDX 2.4 tires. Are these any good and worth wearing out (New England rocks and roots) or should they be replaced with something more conditions appropriate? They look heavy? I'm a fan of the Duster wheels but how is the tension from the factory? How's that Shimano rear hub hold up?

Any advice appreciated!

#31 ·
Just picked up a new leftover 2010 Roscoe 1 for $1,500 for my son. I'm thinking that's a pretty darn good deal for this bike? (shop has 1 left in 17.5 size and also a 2010 Roscoe 3 15" but local pickup only in MA)

Anyway, besides the cracking problem on the swingarm (bike has full warranty so that's good) what other issues or things should I be checking or watching out for on this bike? Any special hardware to be closely watching?

I'm removing the outer ring for a bash guard and was wondering about the XDX 2.4 tires. Are these any good and worth wearing out (New England rocks and roots) or should they be replaced with something more conditions appropriate? They look heavy? I'm a fan of the Duster wheels but how is the tension from the factory? How's that Shimano rear hub hold up?

Any advice appreciated!
I found the lower shock eyelet bushing developed play fairly quickly, replaced with heavy duty mount hardware from betd-cycles and no problems since. Frame bearings are JNK if i remember right... pretty cheap and mine get crunchy fairly quickly after wet UK winter riding. In short- just routine maintenence!
Rode mine for the first time in ages (bought a hardtail) for a dh race yesterday, forgot how smooth it is! I'd prefer a slacker head angle though

#32 ·
Not a bad deal at all. As you mentioned swingarm (chainstay) problem's, I am on my 3'rd one. If it breaks again, I'm doubtful there will be any left over to replace at which point they'll probably have to replace the whole frame... Keep an eye on the suspension linkage bearings, bushings, and hardware - I've had issues with them all.

I would say the XDX tires are worth wearing out. They performed reasonably well for me in the dry, dusty, rocky conditions typical to Colorado's front range, but I did not like them enough to ever buy more of them either.

The rear hub is ok, but if I were you I would go ahead and buy a spare freehub body to keep in the parts bin. I don't know how much time your son is going to be spending on the bike, but I have replaced mine every season since I've owned the bike as they do fail, and it's a drag waiting for it to arrive at your shop if they don't have one in stock... Much better to already have it on hand. Easy $20 fix though!

#33 ·
Thanks for the info gents. Sounds like the usual linkage stuff to keep on top of and check the swingarm area after every ride. Will also pickup a freehub body since I assume I can't throw just any wheel on the back with the ABP setup?

Oh, is that freehub something special for the Trek ABP or a standard Shimano M525SL I can order aftermarket?

Just a great looking bike with good reviews but I think Fisher overpriced them so they didn't sell very well? My son saw one at a shop when it was $2K, loved it, and I said not happening and dealer wouldn't budge on price. When this popped up for $1,500 I had to grab it. He'll be pumped to get it I'm sure.

#34 ·
Trek will tell you that the freehub is something special (and overpriced) but it is not - it's just a re-labeled shimano part. I can't remember the specific part# but mechanic at my shop knew exactly what it was and ordered a couple for me, they were about $20 each.

I'm not sure it was overpriced more so than anything else in Trek's lineup, though I feel like it didn't necessarily have any strong points over the Fuel or Remedy. I bought mine because I got a sweet end of the year deal on it, and really thought it performed well when I demoed it. If it weren't for the sweet deal I got and I was still set on buying a Trek, I probably would have gone with the Remedy.

I still love the bike when it's in working order, though after multiple chainstay failures and linkage headaches, I hesitate to really push it sometimes.

#40 ·
I'm in exactly the same situation as F-bomb, though I'm not sure if it is a 2009 or 2010 (it was bought on clearance in late 2010 so it coult be either). Hearing all these stories of breakage is getting me a bit worried now. I'm coming from a 120mm travel XC/Trail bike that I have bashed and smashed for 2 years and never seen a hint of a crack or bend.

Also, the bike I'm looking at has an issue where the shock linkage bolt is sticking out a bit and is rubbing on the seatstay linkage arm, resulting in a bit of metal being gouged out. Anyone else seen this problem? The seller is going back to the LBS to try and get it warrantied based on poor build by the LBS, though I suspect that they might call "poor maintenance" on his behalf.

Tough call, do I buy an as-new Roscoe 2 (seller said it was an impulse buy and has sat in the shed most of its life, I believe him as it rides and presents like a brand new bike) for $1500 but with no warranty and a fair risk of frame breakage, or do I spend $3000 on a Remedy 8 and have the comfort of a full warranty, DRCV fork, extra 10mm travel, thru-axle rear etc.

#41 ·
My recommendation is to talk to the owner about the issue and see if he is willing to give you a significant discount on the bike to take this likely issue into account. If he is not willing to do so, don't buy; there are many other good used bikes around.

Personally, I ended up purchasing a second-hand 2011 Avanti Torrent 3 and I am happy.

#42 ·
Just bought a used 2009 Roscoe 1....so far so good, no visible cracking, but I did get it for a very good price. I figure it's like a used car - you can get more car for your money, but the trade-off is you probably have more costs on the maintenance side.

Question: are there still spare parts for the Roscoes sitting in Trek's inventory?

#43 ·
I'm of the same opinion. I also just bought the Roscoe I had been looking at, though mine came with a brand new 2010 frame with a 2012 RP23 with Boost Valve. Given that the 09 Roscoe 2 I bought was replaced by a 2010 Roscoe 3 frame with a 2012 shock, I would say that the spare parts inventory is pretty thin (not that it really matters that much, warranty does not carry to a second owner). At less than half the price of the equivalent Remedy, if it breaks I could part it out and probably still break even.

#45 ·
As long as you are the warranty holder, you will be taken care of. If there are no more Roscoe chainstays in the inventory you will likely be offered a Fuel or Remedy. Even though Trek no longer offers lifetime warranties on those bikes - you should be grandfathered in since you purchased a lifetime warranty with your bike. Let us know how things progress!

#46 ·
The area where cable housing guides/bosses are placed on thin walled tubes is very critical. This along with the fact that the right side chainstay (drive side) is more heavily loaded than the left due to pedaling forces makes this type of cracking relatively common within companies who don't have effective frame testing apparatus' that account for driveside pedal loading. One Taiwanese guy I work with describes welded guides/bosses as "putting can opener on belly of whale". An apt analogy. Anyhow, I don't think high weld temps would be the culprit with alumunum since the weld looks good in your pics i.e. no divots or thin spots where the aluminum moved away from where you want it. It looks to me that what you have here is a part of a frame that wasn't properly designed/tested and has subsequently been redesigned to move the boss away from the highly loaded part of the tube. I'm also guessing that once the first crack started, the chainstay began flexing more and so the next "weakest" area became overloaded and another crack started. I have broken a lot of right side chainstays in the last 40 years.

#47 ·
Yeah, I remember when I got the bike, I was told, "don't worry we never have issues with the 2009's, there indestructible", well, yeah......, I mean, the bike is still my favorite the handling is amazing o_O. But yeah I took it to the local bike shop, they took some pics, sent it into trek, there like "Ouch :O, its common but still, doesn't look to fun". Now i'm waiting on a reply from trek, and i'm now running my dads DH Gary Fisher, King Fisher 2 for XC rides xD, quite painful haha.

But yeah, the crack is right where the hose guide is welded on, so if they send me the same faulty part, I might be a little mad, but, we will see ;)

#51 ·
This same thing happened to me during BC Bike Race 2010. Mine was also an '09, which replaced a HiFi from '07 which had done the same thing (x2)... the idea being that the Roscoe was burlier. Not totally true. I now have been riding on a black replacement chainstay which knock on wood will continue to hold up. I still love riding the bike, and don't want to go through the warranty dance again after doing that each of the '08-'10 seasons.

Attachments

#53 ·
roscoes issues

Hey there,yes im new.since were talking about roscoe problems,let me explain mine.I received an 09 roscoe 3 frame as a replacement for my 06 fat possum xt(LOVED that bike).within a year a piece of the rocker link just flaked off so everthing became loose. I gave my original receipt up when i recived the new frameset,so no proof for warrenty. No big deal i called a trek dealer and bought one over the phone. Well a year later same thing.then lbs tells me its a discontinued bike ajd thy cant get another one.. i heard there was a casting prob with these links. This was late 2010. Trek wont replace it. So what am i to do?? I know i didnt pa y for compete bike but how can they sell a 5000 dollar hoss that you cant get parts for 1.5 years later?? So long story short ,has anyone else had a prb with the shock link or does anyone have a suggestion as to what to do)? Bike has been sitting since early 11'

#54 ·
Hey there,yes im new.since were talking about roscoe problems,let me explain mine.I received an 09 roscoe 3 frame as a replacement for my 06 fat possum xt(LOVED that bike).within a year a piece of the rocker link just flaked off so everthing became loose. I gave my original receipt up when i recived the new frameset,so no proof for warrenty. No big deal i called a trek dealer and bought one over the phone. Well a year later same thing.then lbs tells me its a discontinued bike ajd thy cant get another one.. i heard there was a casting prob with these links. This was late 2010. Trek wont replace it. So what am i to do?? I know i didnt pa y for compete bike but how can they sell a 5000 dollar hoss that you cant get parts for 1.5 years later?? So long story short ,has anyone else had a prb with the shock link or does anyone have a suggestion as to what to do)? Bike has been sitting since early 11'
What do you mean a piece flaked off? Is it just cosmetic or functional? I have had an issue with my rocker- but that was as a result from the chainstay bending (on a standard trail descent in afan) which in turn bent the rocker, it seemed to ruin the screw thread where the lower shock eyelet joins.
Do you have any pictures?

#55 ·
Sorry,no photos. But basically on the rocker were the head of the shock bolt is recessed to be flush ,as you look at the head,from 6 -9 oclock about half the thickness of the material was gone and the bolt would no longer torque down.she was only a year old.. Im considering asking a machine shop to build something that works. I just thought trek would help me out .

#56 ·
Roscoe 2 Chain stay crack

Hi all.
I hate to post my first link with a problem as I love my 2009 roscoe 2. However, while at the top of a trail on my first day in Lake Garda, we detected the dreaded crack in the chain stay. It meant returning with the mini bus, losing a day's riding and having to hire another bike for our remaining days (A very nice Scott Genius). I had to return the bike to our local dealer, not the dealer where the bike was brought from. So... not only will I have a chain stay that does not match the original bike, but have to pay for the labour to have it replaced! Still, cheaper than buying a new bike, and I do love the bike. Anyone any idea of the colour that I'm likely to receive???

#57 ·
Hi all.
I hate to post my first link with a problem as I love my 2009 roscoe 2. However, while at the top of a trail on my first day in Lake Garda, we detected the dreaded crack in the chain stay. It meant returning with the mini bus, losing a day's riding and having to hire another bike for our remaining days (A very nice Scott Genius). I had to return the bike to our local dealer, not the dealer where the bike was brought from. So... not only will I have a chain stay that does not match the original bike, but have to pay for the labour to have it replaced! Still, cheaper than buying a new bike, and I do love the bike. Anyone any idea of the colour that I'm likely to receive???
You might get lucky- both of my replacements have been the same colour as my frame (blue/silver).
You can fit it yourself to save on some labor, all you need is an adjustable wrench and an allen key (for the main pivot bolt). It's a pretty simple job, and dosnt take long! :)

#58 ·
Thanks for that Joe.
I hope it is the same col, not the end of the world if it isn't. I can fit it myself, it was just I felt a bit let down by Trek by their attitude when there is obviously a flaw in their design and seemingly want as little as possible to do with it. Will keep informed on outcome.
Still.. great bike!

#59 ·
I just broke my third swing arm. I've broken this bike 4 times in 3 years, what a piece of crap. This time I had to walk 6 miles off of The Whole Enchilda in Moab before I could hitch a ride back to town and killing my riding plans for the rest of my vacation. Trek had four swing arms left in the factory so they repared my bike which sucks because the swing arm is identical to the last three that broke so this one will also break. Trek offered me a second option of $1000 off a frame of my choice. To me this is a bill for at least $800 to pay for a matching fork for a Fuel/Remedy/Slash. Another problem is that the rest of the frame feels very loose so the bike handles poorly regardless of a new chainstay and it is hard to trust a bike that will fail again.

It also looks like Trek is not going to honor the lifetime warranty going forward with replacment frames after they run out of Roscoe parts. The lifetime warranty was a big reason for me purchasing this bike over my other choices, take the lifetime warranty away and I regret every buying a Roscoe. Shame on Trek for using the customer to beta test a poorly designed bike that should have been recalled and I feel is unsafe

#60 ·
Can see why you're pee'd off and have the greatest of sympathy. You need to trust your bike and believe it will keep you safe. My swing arm has been replaced but is the wrong colour, (blue?). It doesn't look bad but I am a more concerned that this seems to be happening on a regular basis to others, and how many has it happened to who haven't kept their proof of purchase or have bought second hand??? It isn't the first time that Trek have had problems with their frames. My mate's Fuel 8 had a similar problem but near the rear axel on the brake side. We knew of several that broke and Trek replaced with upgraded part. I still love my bike, but now will check on a regular basis!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.