Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2008
    This same thing happened to me during BC Bike Race 2010. Mine was also an '09, which replaced a HiFi from '07 which had done the same thing (x2)... the idea being that the Roscoe was burlier. Not totally true. I now have been riding on a black replacement chainstay which knock on wood will continue to hold up. I still love riding the bike, and don't want to go through the warranty dance again after doing that each of the '08-'10 seasons.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gary Fisher Roscoe Owners.....-img_0248s.jpg  

Gary Fisher Roscoe Owners.....-img_0251s.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

09 Roscoe III issues

All, just lost my second freehub in a year, first one they replace as warranty hoping they do it again, but has anyone else had issues and a solution?
    Riding black lower arm as well and it seems to be holding up. Still love the BIKE!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

roscoes issues

Hey there,yes im new.since were talking about roscoe problems,let me explain mine.I received an 09 roscoe 3 frame as a replacement for my 06 fat possum xt(LOVED that bike).within a year a piece of the rocker link just flaked off so everthing became loose. I gave my original receipt up when i recived the new frameset,so no proof for warrenty. No big deal i called a trek dealer and bought one over the phone. Well a year later same thing.then lbs tells me its a discontinued bike ajd thy cant get another one.. i heard there was a casting prob with these links. This was late 2010. Trek wont replace it. So what am i to do?? I know i didnt pa y for compete bike but how can they sell a 5000 dollar hoss that you cant get parts for 1.5 years later?? So long story short ,has anyone else had a prb with the shock link or does anyone have a suggestion as to what to do)? Bike has been sitting since early 11'

Spice
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cscmtb View Post
    Hey there,yes im new.since were talking about roscoe problems,let me explain mine.I received an 09 roscoe 3 frame as a replacement for my 06 fat possum xt(LOVED that bike).within a year a piece of the rocker link just flaked off so everthing became loose. I gave my original receipt up when i recived the new frameset,so no proof for warrenty. No big deal i called a trek dealer and bought one over the phone. Well a year later same thing.then lbs tells me its a discontinued bike ajd thy cant get another one.. i heard there was a casting prob with these links. This was late 2010. Trek wont replace it. So what am i to do?? I know i didnt pa y for compete bike but how can they sell a 5000 dollar hoss that you cant get parts for 1.5 years later?? So long story short ,has anyone else had a prb with the shock link or does anyone have a suggestion as to what to do)? Bike has been sitting since early 11'
    What do you mean a piece flaked off? Is it just cosmetic or functional? I have had an issue with my rocker- but that was as a result from the chainstay bending (on a standard trail descent in afan) which in turn bent the rocker, it seemed to ruin the screw thread where the lower shock eyelet joins.
    Do you have any pictures?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Sorry,no photos. But basically on the rocker were the head of the shock bolt is recessed to be flush ,as you look at the head,from 6 -9 oclock about half the thickness of the material was gone and the bolt would no longer torque down.she was only a year old.. Im considering asking a machine shop to build something that works. I just thought trek would help me out .

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Roscoe 2 Chain stay crack

Hi all.
    I hate to post my first link with a problem as I love my 2009 roscoe 2. However, while at the top of a trail on my first day in Lake Garda, we detected the dreaded crack in the chain stay. It meant returning with the mini bus, losing a day's riding and having to hire another bike for our remaining days (A very nice Scott Genius). I had to return the bike to our local dealer, not the dealer where the bike was brought from. So... not only will I have a chain stay that does not match the original bike, but have to pay for the labour to have it replaced! Still, cheaper than buying a new bike, and I do love the bike. Anyone any idea of the colour that I'm likely to receive???

Spice
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by skisteve View Post
    Hi all.
    I hate to post my first link with a problem as I love my 2009 roscoe 2. However, while at the top of a trail on my first day in Lake Garda, we detected the dreaded crack in the chain stay. It meant returning with the mini bus, losing a day's riding and having to hire another bike for our remaining days (A very nice Scott Genius). I had to return the bike to our local dealer, not the dealer where the bike was brought from. So... not only will I have a chain stay that does not match the original bike, but have to pay for the labour to have it replaced! Still, cheaper than buying a new bike, and I do love the bike. Anyone any idea of the colour that I'm likely to receive???
    You might get lucky- both of my replacements have been the same colour as my frame (blue/silver).
    You can fit it yourself to save on some labor, all you need is an adjustable wrench and an allen key (for the main pivot bolt). It's a pretty simple job, and dosnt take long!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for that Joe.
    I hope it is the same col, not the end of the world if it isn't. I can fit it myself, it was just I felt a bit let down by Trek by their attitude when there is obviously a flaw in their design and seemingly want as little as possible to do with it. Will keep informed on outcome.
    Still.. great bike!

Free your heel...
    I just broke my third swing arm. I've broken this bike 4 times in 3 years, what a piece of crap. This time I had to walk 6 miles off of The Whole Enchilda in Moab before I could hitch a ride back to town and killing my riding plans for the rest of my vacation. Trek had four swing arms left in the factory so they repared my bike which sucks because the swing arm is identical to the last three that broke so this one will also break. Trek offered me a second option of $1000 off a frame of my choice. To me this is a bill for at least $800 to pay for a matching fork for a Fuel/Remedy/Slash. Another problem is that the rest of the frame feels very loose so the bike handles poorly regardless of a new chainstay and it is hard to trust a bike that will fail again.

It also looks like Trek is not going to honor the lifetime warranty going forward with replacment frames after they run out of Roscoe parts. The lifetime warranty was a big reason for me purchasing this bike over my other choices, take the lifetime warranty away and I regret every buying a Roscoe. Shame on Trek for using the customer to beta test a poorly designed bike that should have been recalled and I feel is unsafe

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Can see why you're pee'd off and have the greatest of sympathy. You need to trust your bike and believe it will keep you safe. My swing arm has been replaced but is the wrong colour, (blue?). It doesn't look bad but I am a more concerned that this seems to be happening on a regular basis to others, and how many has it happened to who haven't kept their proof of purchase or have bought second hand??? It isn't the first time that Trek have had problems with their frames. My mate's Fuel 8 had a similar problem but near the rear axel on the brake side. We knew of several that broke and Trek replaced with upgraded part. I still love my bike, but now will check on a regular basis!!!

Free your heel...
    They did color match the chainstay for me, painted it from blue to black. This will make it easier to sell this POS to some poor sucker.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Personally i will never even consider buyin a trek/ fisher again. They should just stay away from full suspension altogether. Seems they can bulid a roscoe that will hold up to win slopestyle contest,but cant bulid a production model that will handle all mountain riding. Two thumbs DOWN!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I have to say that I have not experienced any of these issues with my Roscoe but it was a 2010 model perhaps that is the difference?
    I've done some pretty horrible stuff to mine including a fair bit of DH work without any issues. Perhaps the issue is related to chain suck or debris marking the chain stays which creates a stress raiser, hence the cracking? After reading this I will certainly inspect for damage and apply helicopter tape, I love my Roscoe even if it is a tractor.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Well hopefully the 2010's might be better? I picked up a new leftover Roscoe 1 for my son this past spring for $1500. Had to grab it at that price and promptly registered it with Trek. I will hold onto my proof of purchase for dear life. Sadly he's only had it out 3 times so at that rate probably no reason to worry about breakage. I'll be keeping a very close watch on everything.

Really sharp looking bike I gotta admit and if it was my size I'd be out riding it.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hey folks. im new to this forum. I bought a roscoe 3 about 1 1/2 years ago. i bought it used and i viewed all the forums before purchasing. Cross fingers mine has been ok so far, but with all these other peeps frames going wrong i hope if mine does go wrong there will be a part available! i have got the receipt from the original purchaser but not sure how much use that would be. On another note, can anyone tell me how to remove my RP23 rear shock from the frame as i need to service it.. just had to shell out 380 to get my RP24 TALAS forks rebuilt!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Well i never thoght it would happen, but i noticed a crack in the frame just in the exact same place as everyone else's, just on the chainstay at the cable guide. its only a couple of mm's and not actually gone yet. Whats the chances of any swingarms being left?!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Only way to find out is checking with a dealer or contacting trek directly. I shelled out 165'ish bucks for mine last year. I ordered one because chain slap had been doing a # on the stay. In the interim, I saw the OP's thread and there it was, the crack. I have also had to replace the link for the rear suspension - 120'ish bucks. Had it out today in the snow with studded tires and it was performing well. I think they either have the parts, or can have them made. They had sourced out a machine shop in Wis. to make a batch of links (mine was one of them).

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Yeh i went to my LBS today and because im not the original owner there not honouring any warranty.. . They said they were going to get in touch with trek/fisher and let me know if they can source any. Think im in the same boat with regards to the link for the rear suspension..noticed play in it.. is that the main link just next to the crank with the 'huge' nut?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    not sure how wrench savvy you are - I'm not, but have friends who have tools that are. Since you bought it used, maybe you should think about having the LBS or someone go through and check torque on all the pivots etc. Mine will loosen some occasionally. I was referring to the link which connects the shock to the upper part of the rear triangle (seat stays). I have had the small bolt at the bottom of the shock loosen up. Be careful about over tightening that one, it is a lower torque than the rest of the pivots.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Yeh ive had to replace 2 of the shock mount bolts..seems like everythings just giving up at the same time! really hope they can source me a chainstay as its such an awesome bike when it gets hooked up..

Spice
    Dec 2008
    I got a new suspension rocker under warranty- the thread on it where the lower part of the shock mounts got ruined. Trek replaced it for free (wasnt expecting that, as the bike shop said it was from user error- maybe... maybe not) but I think it may have got damaged when I bent the chainstay (have snapped one and bent one + the threaded rocker).
    I wouldnt be expecting them to be making any more chainstays- last I heard (from the shop who warrantied the rocker) was that they only had 6 or so spare chainstays left. I'm not sure how accurate that info is though...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Good luck to you on your quest for a new chainstay. Please post up either way. I hope mine makes it through the upcoming season. The price of new bikes is scary. All this reminds me I should go flip the bike over and take a good look at that chainstay...........

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    hey folks,Removing the chainstay today, but cant fathom out how to remove the main pivot bolt just near the crank, has anyone done this?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    anyone?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    sorry turbo, I had the LBS do the wrenching. Good Luck

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast