Thread: Gary Fisher PHD

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Gary Fisher PHD

I read the reviews but still want some of your opinions since you all have a lot more experience than I do. The terrain around here is up-down, never a long climb and never a long downhill either. There a couple jumps out here, but I have yet to find any over 5ft. I plan to try a couple new trails this summer but dont see myself going much over the 5'-6'. A friend of mine is buying a remedy and planning to sell his phd that he's been using around here. his current setup is...

Frame: 15.5" powder coated blue very durable
    Fork: Pike 409 with lock out
    Wheels: King Earl carbon hub inserts sealed bearings
    Shifters: Sram X-0 grip shift
    Rear Der: Sram X-9
    Front Der: Sram X-7
    Crank Set: King Earl Triple
    Cassette: X-9
    Chain X-9
    Brakes: Avid BB-7
    Front Tire: Kenda small block eight
    Rear Tire: Bontrager Earl

I know that the bike is in near perfect condition and has been taken great care of and properly maintained ( He was a bike mechanic). What are your opinion on this set up and whats a good price for it. He's currently got it listed for $950, which seems a little high but I dont want to be an ass and shoot a low number to him though. If its worth passing up, then I'll just pass it up and wait for a better deal to come by.

If you need more info or anything let me know, I am open to all opinions.
    Last edited by gordon2456; 02-10-2010 at 09:34 PM.

Picture Unrelated
    That bike is not a great trail bike. It's a good jump bike, what it was designed for. Take a good look at what you'll be using it for and decide if you can spend your almost grand on something more appropriate for what you want to be doing. The bike pedals poorly, is heavy, and unless you're quite small, won't fit properly to pedal for long periods of time. I have a Bitter and it's pretty awful to pedal, but when the trails head downhill, it's really quite fun. So take a look at your area, I'm sure you can find a more appropriate bike for that kind of money, Specialized P AM bikes for instance, or the GF Mullet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I trail rode a Mullet for 2 years and even won a couple races on it. I would not hesitate to do the same on a PHD. His asking price is a bit high depending on the year it is. They were about 2k new.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by josh8
    I trail rode a Mullet for 2 years and even won a couple races on it. I would not hesitate to do the same on a PHD. His asking price is a bit high depending on the year it is. They were about 2k new.
    The PHD is a completely different machine than the rest of the Biggin's line. It was designed completely separately and for the express purpose of dirt jumping. I have a Bitter, it's basically a burly hardtail (I got it in 15.5" so I can't trail ride it effectively at 6' tall) but the PHD is a jump machine. The money can be better spent on something else.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    ok, thanks guys, I kinda figured that and thats why I wanted your advice.