mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Gary Fisher newb with a few questions

I have a chance to pick up a Hi Fi Deluxe at a pretty good price and have a few questions. What year did they switch the bike over to a 29'er? The one I am looking at is a 26" wheeled bike. Is there anything to look for when looking at a used Hi Fi in particular? What are your opinions on the 26" wheeled bikes? Knowing what year it went to 29 would help me sort through some of the threads on here too.

I loved the way the bike climbed, how fast and controlled it was on descents and how comfortable it was on rough, rutted roads and trails. The bike felt like it was set up for me even though the only thing I did was adjust the seat height. The seat was pretty darn nice too. Seemed like a pretty good fork and the lock out on the rear shock along with the two different setting was pretty useful.

My dislikes? Hydraulic brakes - Juicy 5. The dang rear brake had to be cleaned off twice to keep the noise down to a tolerable level. After the ride I looked up the SRAM instructions and saw that you can adjust them a bit at the lever but I'd be happier with BB7s. I never saw a cable leak before, I have seen a few hydraulics leak. I would also start swapping out the Shimano parts to SRAM as they wore out. Two recumbents with X-5 and X-9 components have made me a believer.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

edit: from looking at the picture thread I think it is a 2008 model with that flat blueish paint
    Last edited by dm1333; 06-27-2010 at 03:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    They made the 26" version into 2009 but that was it. I have never seen any real issues with them as far as frame breaking or anything of that nature. I hear yeah on the SRAM. The 2008 deluxe was black,
    2009 Deluxe

2009 HiFi

2008 HiFi Plus