mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Gary Fisher Joshua question

Let me pick your brains, guys,

A friend of mine Gave me a Fisher Joshua FS, (wana say XO? sumthin,..maybe a '98? its in storage, dont have the specs in front of me) Its missing front Der. cable, ana saddle, other than that it's complete, and heavy as #@LL.....
    My friend got tired of the weight and didnt want to invest any $ at the time, he bombed around with it a dozen times for maybe, 2 seasons? and went over to road bikes everafter...

You guys think its worth building on to mess around with? Are there any issues with this bike I'm unaware of, problems with the link/shock/frame strength?

my black diamond days are far behind me but before I invest even a cable into the thing and cruise it, I wanted to get some GF experienced opinions....

Thanks!

H

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Wow, Really? NONE of the Fisher guys here have an opinion on the Joshua? No insight 4 me? Maybe that alone is telling me sumthing.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The Joshua is a fun rig, my first real mountain bike. A lot of good memories on that sled. Get stuff used, replace what needs to be replaced but don't go dumping tons of money into that thing. It's a great starter bike if you are just trying to have a good time shredding. It is also worth mentioning that I abused the hell out of my Joshua, and that bike can take a beating. There is my two cents.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkwat View Post
    The Joshua is a fun rig, my first real mountain bike. A lot of good memories on that sled. Get stuff used, replace what needs to be replaced but don't go dumping tons of money into that thing. It's a great starter bike if you are just trying to have a good time shredding. It is also worth mentioning that I abused the hell out of my Joshua, and that bike can take a beating. There is my two cents.
    Awesome! Thanks Bro, thats what I was looking/hoping for, someone that thrashed one of these around and possibly had any real world problems... Since I have my old Specialized HT I'm basically happy, thought it would be fun to have a FS to play with, (especially for free?) but it's kinda heavy and before I dumped any $ into it I wanted to be sure I'd have some Play time with it, no inherent Link failures or anything obvious I was unaware of... The bikes' real clean, no stress cracks, no scratches, nothing to make me think it wouldnt be worth it, but I wanted to check in with any guys with experience... I guess I have another rebuild in my near future...

Oh, any thoughts on the rear shock, how hard should I run it, seems kinda floppy, should I run more preload? I weigh 'round 180 @ 6'2, the cockpit feels a little small but I have a longer stem I'm considering after a run or two, I'm looking forward to kicking around with this geometry and seeing how it handles.. should b fun!

pedal pusher
    My first bike ever was a 1998 Joshua. The medium frame alone weighed 7.25lbs after I removed all the paint. The shock was heavy, and the only adjustment was spring tension. Also, this was years before lock-outs became the norm, so the bike bobbed up and down like a pogo stick anytime I got out of the saddle.

If you can tolerate the weight, I'd suggest finding a lightweight air shock to replace the steel coil spring model, and make sure it has a lock-out. Put a fork on it with a remote lock-out, and it should finally be a good climbing bike, other than the weight thing.

The best part about that frame was how well it soaked up bumps at speed, or took small jumps to flat. It's so heavy and the welds are so massive, that it's basically bomb-proof.