mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Gary fisher hard tail stolen. How to replace?

My lovely awesome big sur XL size was stolen. It's my fault but it looks like no one carries high end hard tails like the big sur or the new hoo koo e koo.

Anyone know where I can fins one in my size? I'm calling and visiting shops all over but between trek take over and late season there is no inventory left and nobody seems to be selling an old big sur above 19 inches . Or really any size.

Store clerks say everyone is getting specialized bikes . They buy two one street one mountain which means full suspension models so they only push low level heavy truck hard tails.

Anyone have any ideas how I can source a beautiful Gary fisher before trek makes them disappear forever?

I hate that name.
    The was a 2010 HKEK, but the Big Sir has been gone from the US for a while. The highest level 2010 Fisher still available to order is the Piranha. For 2011, there is the Wahoo and Tarpon in the GF Collection, but thats it for 26" bikes.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for the reply.
    I just got back from afghanistan and couldnt wait to ride my bike, and it got stolen.

I looked everywhere but it looks like trek swallowing up gary fisher mens the end of me ever owning a super bike like that again. I can even find a comparable hard tail that was as light and strong as the big sur frame.

Any suggestions?

in da house CREW
    Dec 2007
    If that model GF hasnt been made for a few years its going to be hard to find a new left over. you could check out ebay or craigslist and see if you can pickup a used one. good luck on your search.

I hate that name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpstart
    Thanks for the reply.
    I just got back from afghanistan and couldnt wait to ride my bike, and it got stolen.

I looked everywhere but it looks like trek swallowing up gary fisher mens the end of me ever owning a super bike like that again. I can even find a comparable hard tail that was as light and strong as the big sur frame.

Any suggestions?
    The GF 26" bikes' days have been numbered for a while; getting absorbed into the rest of the Trek line was just a matter of paint. If you're looking for a high end 26" hardtail, why not look at a Trek 8000 or 8500? Its the same manufacturing.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    There's a Big Sur on E Bay right now. 20 inch frame.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The 8000/8500 were pretty nice.
    The geometry when I tried them was totally different from the Big Sur but maybe not so much if you had a G2 bike.

My Big Sur is a 2003 so it was pre-G2.

At Work
    what size frame?
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku
    (Resurection in Progress)

mtbr member
    May 2004
    My 2003 is a 19" Large.
    The OP is looking for an XL, I think that'd be a 21".
    One of my buds has one of the last of the HooKooEKoo steel XLs.