Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Gary Fisher Collection from Trek?

It looks like Fisher Bikes will now be branded as Trek Bikes from the Gary Fisher colleciton. go to trekbikes.com

Is dang happy!
    Wow the paint is god awfull!
    Where is the bling?
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    That is correct. I think the new paint schemes are sweet!!!

guru meditation

mtbr member
    May 2010
    glad i got the 2010 Rumblefish, although i didnt see it on the website. I liked the superfly paint schemes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    anyone check out the Rig?
    it now has a 100mm fork (was 80) and Avid Juicy 3 brakes (were bb7s).
    paint job is meh but some nice new parts

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Crapy Colors and proce increase!

I was thinking about getting a GF Superfly SS frameset. The new colors on the Trek are awful and they increased the price about $600. Any shops out there that have a new large frame set in stock?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b_heald
    anyone check out the Rig?
    it now has a 100mm fork (was 80) and Avid Juicy 3 brakes (were bb7s).
    paint job is meh but some nice new parts

It has sliders now too, no EBB.

As for the SFSS, I am not sure why the price bump. Doesn't look like a tapered headtube, and I don't really see anything that changed.

mtbr member
    That new Sawyer is hot. It has a G2 rigid fork that folks have been wanting. Looks like it has sliding dropouts too. That would make a sexy singlespeed.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an
    That new Sawyer is hot. It has a G2 rigid fork that folks have been wanting. Looks like it has sliding dropouts too. That would make a sexy singlespeed.

Look again, the rear vertical dropouts are swingers. You can see the 2 screws clearly in the zoom view.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I noticed the nev version of the wahoo disc(wahoo wsd in the "collection") has upgraded the brakes to hydraulics. I wonder if they are stepping the GF collection up a notch over the standard trek lineup?

mtbr member
    I am not all that familiar with "Promax" brakes. At least I have not seen the name around here before today.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jonw9
    It has sliders now too, no EBB.

As for the SFSS, I am not sure why the price bump. Doesn't look like a tapered headtube, and I don't really see anything that changed.
    so that means its not going to creek any more?

Master of Disaster
    Quote Originally Posted by goingblankagain
    “This makes sense. I love this strategy,” says Gary Fisher in a press release sent early this morning. “I’ve been working with Trek on the Fisher Brand since 1996, but this puts me right in the middle of the best team of bike people. I can now bring my ideas to Trek, number one bike brand in the world. Better bikes and more people on those bikes. I love it.”

Anybody else notice that at the press conference Gary seemed to be blinking in Morse code? With a VCR recording and an an old Boy Scouts manual, I get his code as "h-e-l-p...h-o-s-t-a-g-e".

Or maybe he just blinks a lot. But really, “They flushed my brand name down the toilet and told me to F myself on the 2011 colors. I love this strategy because I get a fat bonus check and how was I to know the hooker they sent to my room was under age?”

LOL.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    just like klein, its the end of fisher

mtbr member
    I am not all that familiar with "Promax" brakes.
    Believe me, that's a really good thing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elbry
    just like klein, its the end of fisher
    Agreed. A sad day.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Too bad it's the end of the line for fisher, Soon to be nothing more than treks 29er brand. I wonder what will happen with the team. Hope the riders aren't left without a ride for the next year.

Glad to have my 09 hookoo and sad to see the end of the line.

mtbr member
    I wonder what Trek was thinking when they bought Bontrager, Lemond, Fisher, and Klein only to ultimately quit making these brands. I like Trek road bikes but I don't particularly like their mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Gary Fisher = ultimate sell out. He proved himself to be a bigger doooouche than I thought he was.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorofShalamar
    Too bad it's the end of the line for fisher, Soon to be nothing more than treks 29er brand. I wonder what will happen with the team. Hope the riders aren't left without a ride for the next year.

Team will go on as always. Gary and JHK addressed this on Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by theMailmanismydad
    Gary Fisher = ultimate sell out. He proved himself to be a bigger doooouche than I thought he was.
    Horse ****! Get out of here with that non sense.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Bummer!

mtbr member
    I have lots of loyal fisher customers, and this idiocy is not going to please them. trek paint jobs, and a general trekified look to the frames, dropping the rigid town bikes.... what are they thinking? Many customers love the fact the bikes are bit different.... As a trek/fisher dealer this change really disappoints me. Its hard enough to sell 29ers in the UK and the look of this line-up is really not what I need right now. Seems that 29ers are doing so well in the US that trek want all the glory, this re-branding is bit of an insult to a mtb legend.......

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Will our forum get shifted to the Trek forum along with Bontrager,klein ect

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I don't much care about this change, but would kill (almost) for the new, built-in downtube "armor" on the 2011 Fly 100.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorofShalamar

This ^ is what I am wondering about. Especially, when it come to important stuff like this >http://singletrack.competitor.com/20...y-knew-ye_8683

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Hey! No Roscoe anymore in the Trek fisher collection ... it's one hell of a bike!!!

The Roscoe can't be out, anyone have to try a Roscoe... ok i'm going to take care of my beloved one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I was going to ride my Paragon today, but now I think I'm gonna look for a glass case big enough to put it in...
    09 GF Paragon

mtbr member
    Glad I just got my hands on a new 2010 Rumblefish....not digging the paint scheme on the 2011's at all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

GF lives on!

Quote Originally Posted by josh8
    Team will go on as always. Gary and JHK addressed this on Twitter.

Horse ****! Get out of here with that non sense.

I agree, that is total non-sense. GF as a person cares about bikes and bike events and bike people. I believe he is correct in thinking that he can bring 'new' ideas to the mtn bike divison of TREK....and it would seem they(TREK) need his forward thinking.

The recent review in MBA of the 120mm Fuel, they finish the review of this 6G ($) bike, by saying, what we would do is shorten the stem, widen the bars and swap out the 120mm (15QR) fork for a 130mm (15QR) fork.....WOW, if that isnt a slap in the face for TREK mtn bikes, I dont know what is. True, its only an opinion - but when you are MBA your opinion matters.

From my personal perspective, I feel the industry will say this is a sign of weakness with the GF brand.....BUT, really this is a sign of global weakness for expensive toys. Every retail industry is tight. So, TREK and GF are now closer and can get more 'economies of scale' working for them.

......LC(cheers)

PS: is my lifetime frame warrentee still good on my 09 HIFI PRO ???

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Wrong, when your MBA, your opinion is irrelevent

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I would have thought that with two levels of the Superfly/Superfly 100 the Elite version would include the top of the line components. Many people get these bikes and swap out the X-0 for XX... why not just include it or give people the option to swap it from the start. I want to swap my components, but I don't want to go through the hassle of selling the stuff I got and then waiting to buy the new stuff... wife's orders to do it in that sequence.

Maybe the Fisher Collection bikes will be available on the Project One site soon and that won't be a problem.

mtbr member

Bummer

I liked fishers for the geometry, innovation, and bold graphics. You stand out on a fisher. The Trek line for 2011 is really quite fugly. I am glad to have the 2010 HiFI and 2010 X caliber 29ers. The paint looks MUCH, MUCH better than those department store, cookie cutter disgraces. I ride 6 or 7 days a week and will need a bike in several years. If this trend continues i will be off to one of the other 29er manufacturers. As a longtime Fisher rider this is a major disappointment. I will start researching alternate 29er lines just so I keep informed and ready to make the change in a year or two when it's time to buy.
    29ers are more fun!

mtbr member
    I've liked most of the Fisher graphics over the last several years, but I gotta disagree with the folks calling the 2011 design ugly, I think it's pretty sweet. They're not dousing them in bright red anymore, thankfully, and I like the large outline brand name on the top and bottom of the downtube.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twenty6black
    The recent review in MBA of the 120mm Fuel, they finish the review of this 6G ($) bike, by saying, what we would do is shorten the stem, widen the bars and swap out the 120mm (15QR) fork for a 130mm (15QR) fork.....WOW, if that isnt a slap in the face for TREK mtn bikes, I dont know what is. True, its only an opinion - but when you are MBA your opinion matters.
    I can't think of anything I would pay attention to less. My review would have been a longer stem, narrower bars and to keep the 120mm fork. MBA sucks.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

mtbr member
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA

AZ
    banned
    Mountain Buyke Action has not been relevant for at least a couple of decades .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aabbas
    I've liked most of the Fisher graphics over the last several years, but I gotta disagree with the folks calling the 2011 design ugly, I think it's pretty sweet. They're not dousing them in bright red anymore, thankfully, and I like the large outline brand name on the top and bottom of the downtube.

We were talking about this at the shop today. All the bikes are mostly black, with some other color, mostly grey.

I think the store is going to look like an old black and white picture once the new treks come in.

mtbr member
    We were talking about this at the shop today. All the bikes are mostly black, with some other color, mostly grey.

I think the store is going to look like an old black and white picture once the new treks come in.
    Haha. This is really evident in the Rumblefish lineup. I think the Superfly bikes are team colors which makes sense. I like the matte black with the blue.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA

mtbr member
    Fisher lost me when they dropped the Ferrous
    2011 Lynskey Pro29 SL SS
    1998 Moots Rigormootis
    1988 Ritchey SuperComp
    Bridgestone MB1, MB2, & MB4

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel29er
    Fisher lost me when they dropped the Ferrous
    Then you need to look at the Sawyer, way better bike than the Ferrous!

Tinshield- I agree I like several of the 2011 paint schemes. I like all the Superfly's and the mens Xcal looks good. That HIFI Pro is sharp too.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Well, now what... I was looking at getting either the X-cal or the Scott Scale 29er. Both sold out in my neck of the woods. So I was going to have to wait for a bit.

But looking at the the 2011 models of some of the X-cal, I just go "meh". Seriously, the WSD X-Cal frame is WAY better looking than the men's model. Makes me wish I was shorter...

Its not the layout of the color strips I have issues with. Its the utter and complete lack of color. The Cobia and the Marlin WSD (the two with the most color of the hardtails) look so much better than the others because they don't look like funeral bikes or like Giant brand bikes.

And really, you are going to the trouble to put 2011 X7 10 speed cassettes in the back, but setting them up as 3x10 vs. 2x10? Really?

Starting to wonder harder what that 2011 Scott Scale is going to look like...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowboy76
    Well, now what... I was looking at getting either the X-cal or the Scott Scale 29er. Both sold out in my neck of the woods. So I was going to have to wait for a bit.

But looking at the the 2011 models of some of the X-cal, I just go "meh". Seriously, the WSD X-Cal frame is WAY better looking than the men's model. Makes me wish I was shorter...

Its not the layout of the color strips I have issues with. Its the utter and complete lack of color. The Cobia and the Marlin WSD (the two with the most color of the hardtails) look so much better than the others because they don't look like funeral bikes or like Giant brand bikes.

And really, you are going to the trouble to put 2011 X7 10 speed cassettes in the back, but setting them up as 3x10 vs. 2x10? Really?

Starting to wonder harder what that 2011 Scott Scale is going to look like...
    The WSD X-Cal is al black and gray? What him say?
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA

mtbr member
    I am almost wondering if Trek is setting the GF line up for failure.

Take one of the things people like about GF (colors) and make them plain, while the Trek line has "some" color (while not great graphics).

So J6P walks into the shop and gets offered a black/grey painted GF next to a bright shiny Trek, which will the pick?

Then in a year or 2, the GF collection can be culled because it isn't selling as much.

mtbr member
    I am almost wondering if Trek is setting the GF line up for failure.

Take one of the things people like about GF (colors) and make them plain, while the Trek line has "some" color (while not great graphics).

So J6P walks into the shop and gets offered a black/grey painted GF next to a bright shiny Trek, which will the pick?

Then in a year or 2, the GF collection can be culled because it isn't selling as much.
    Makes no sense whatsoever.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinshield
    Makes no sense whatsoever.

Why doesn't it? They already said the independent GF line cost too much money, so they rolled them into one. Why not just kill off the brand all together and save even more?

Much like Ford/Mercury, Chevy/Olds, etc.

AZ
    banned
    The Gary Fisher line out sold Trek by a huge margin in many areas , this is a cost cutting and brand recognition move . Joe Blow knows who Trek is because of Lance , ask Joe who Gary Fisher is . This aims right at middle America , helping Trek sales and moving G.F. to the higher end of the Trek line , giving Trek some "chi chi" at the top end of the line . In corporate speak , this good "branding" , the cost cutting of this move dosent hurt either , aimed at increased profitability . My two cents .

mtbr member
    Why doesn't it? They already said the independent GF line cost too much money, so they rolled them into one. Why not just kill off the brand all together and save even more?

Much like Ford/Mercury, Chevy/Olds, etc.
    The name does have a lot of value to enthusiasts and bringing them under the Trek umbrella opens them up to the "Trek" name that almost everyone knows. The expansion of the line and increased production and distribution goes against your theory. I guess it's a legit thought but when you really look at it its Trek recognizing that the 29ers are selling and they need a way to sell more.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinshield
    The WSD X-Cal is al black and gray? What him say?
    Yeah, I made a few mistakes in that post. Should have re-read what I typed..

What I was trying to say was that compared to the men's X-cal, the colors on the WSD model are better. Yes, its over-all grey, but the use of a real contrasting color (the teal) makes the color pop out. The blue on the men's does not contrast with the black enough. What if the blue was like a line green? Or red? That same frame and basic color patch layout would look better.

Also, its not the Marlin WSD that looks so good compared to the others, its the Mamba WSD. The two bikes that look the best are the ones with most color. Just sayin'.

I've test rode X-cal many times and I really like the bike. I like the Scott Scale 29 too. Its give and take on components and each has their pluses and minuses. At some point the difference between the bikes comes down to things that are visual, i.e. which bike looks better. As of 2011, I would say the X-cal is going to lose that race...

mtbr member
    A little more flash is warranted. The Superflys are fine I think since they are race bikes and actually look pretty good with the race team colors. Bikes like the Rumblefish should have some jazz though. It could be that Trek determined that many people shy away from "loud" colored bikes? Many people won't buy a bike because the color is too plain but they might refuse to buy if it's too much.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast