mtbr member
    Mar 2006

G2 offset question

Sorry if this has been gone over before .....

My '06 Xcaliber frame cracked and was promptly replaced by a current year Paragon model frame. Thanks, Fisher!
    This new frame is optimized to have the G2 fork offset (51mm?). Apparently, Fisher dealers can buy theses G2 Fox forks directly from Fox with my cost being around $740. My LBS, who I bought my Xcaliber from, no longer deals with Trek/Fisher, so we're not even sure if we can get one of these in. They can get the standard offset F29 for quite a bit less than the G2 model.

What would I be missing out on by not installing the proprietary Fox/Fisher fork? I've been told a 46mm fork would "steer slower" and would be "floppy" ... not sure what that means.

Thanks in advance for your help!

WNC Native
    If your used to the G1 version geometry, I don't think you would notice any difference. The fork trail numbers aren't that different to a 45-46mm offset fork from stock 51mm.
    In fact several of the Fisher team riders are running reba XX forks on their bike.

If you can get G2 go for it, if not you'll still be fine.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    There are a bunch on Ebay. I would check there first.