mtbr member

G2 fork replacement

So my new Fisher may need a new fork it would seem. Not too long ago I noticed some oil rings building up on one side, after taking it in for a free tune-up and mentioning my concern about the apparent leak, I was informed I may need a brand new fork, and since it uses G2 it could takes months to get a replacement.

So my questions... Is this accurate? Am I really to expect if I do need a replacement I won't see it for a hell of a long time?

Is a small oil leak a huge problem and could I get away with riding for awhile while waiting for a replacement?

And finally, I have considered that if this is the case, maybe I should look into simply upgrading to a better fork/suspension. This means no G2, but would this extremely effect the bike and the way it feels?

(also just noticed this likely should be in the suspension section, move it if you like!)

At Work
    How old is the bike?

I bought a RIG last month and the first ride the fork failed, took it back, the LBS pulled another fork of another bike and away I went.

Why would you spend your money on a new fork when you have a warranty? Keep using your fork until the new one comes in.
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku
    (Resurection in Progress)

mtbr member
    I had the thought of buying a new fork because the idea of having to wait "several months, even as much as a full year" (how my LBS put it) doesn't appeal to me at all, especially if the problem essentially makes it so I can't even ride it for the time being.

The bike itself I've had for a month, and the bike is a 2010 model.

I think it's pretty much garbage that any issues should pop up with a brand new bike/fork within the first month, especially when I've only rode some moderate single track so far, and other than that only a few short rides on paths and to and from work. Honestly if I really do have to wait months for a new fork then Trek can kiss my ass. I spend that kind of money on a bike they need to be air shipping me my warranty covered parts lol.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Get it warrantied, screw paying for a new fork on a bike that new. Tell your bike shop to go to hell as well. THey are clueless. You can order the forks directly from Fox. You need to contact fox, get an RA number, send your fork to them and then they will process your claim and either fix it or replace it.

At Work
    Quote Originally Posted by caldan88
    I had the thought of buying a new fork because the idea of having to wait "several months, even as much as a full year" (how my LBS put it) doesn't appeal to me at all, especially if the problem essentially makes it so I can't even ride it for the time being.

The bike itself I've had for a month, and the bike is a 2010 model.

I think it's pretty much garbage that any issues should pop up with a brand new bike/fork within the first month, especially when I've only rode some moderate single track so far, and other than that only a few short rides on paths and to and from work. Honestly if I really do have to wait months for a new fork then Trek can kiss my ass. I spend that kind of money on a bike they need to be air shipping me my warranty covered parts lol.
    So you have not actually talked to them about actually getting it warrantied yet. Go see them, request that they remove a fork from a floor model and replace yours on the spot. If they will not request a refund.
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku
    (Resurection in Progress)

Put this bandit hat on.
    As for whether a non-G2 fork affects the bike, I replaced the fork on my '10 Wahoo and the handling feels a bit more slack now with a non-G2 fork. I guess that's not good if you like the 'twitchy' low speed handling of G2 (which I do), but otherwise it only take a little getting used to.

mtbr member
    I registered my bike on the Gary Fisher website last night. Apparently it's an alternative to sending in the warranty card that was apparently supposed to come with the bike. So I think I'm good.

They didn't even bother to mention a warranty card at my LBS. I probably should know better to ask about it really, but just the same not a word. They did take down my information, such as name, serial number, phone number etc, but whether they used that to register my bike on my behalf or just for their records I don't know...

Anyways, they did clean the built up oil off my forks when it was in there. I've been keeping an eye on it and honestly it seems fine now. I emailed Trek as well and was told it's normal for oil rings to appear on the fork as it helps keep the whole fork well lubricated. Called "weeping oil" and it shouldn't be a problem.

mtbr member
    On another note, I realize it that they over-price G2 forks big time, but let's say I was interested in upgrading down the line to one of the better G2 forks that come on some of the higher-priced G2 bikes, would I be able to just order one up? (I also have a 2010 wahoo disc btw)

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by caldan88
    I registered my bike on the Gary Fisher website last night. Apparently it's an alternative to sending in the warranty card that was apparently supposed to come with the bike. So I think I'm good.

They didn't even bother to mention a warranty card at my LBS. I probably should know better to ask about it really, but just the same not a word. They did take down my information, such as name, serial number, phone number etc, but whether they used that to register my bike on my behalf or just for their records I don't know...

Anyways, they did clean the built up oil off my forks when it was in there. I've been keeping an eye on it and honestly it seems fine now. I emailed Trek as well and was told it's normal for oil rings to appear on the fork as it helps keep the whole fork well lubricated. Called "weeping oil" and it shouldn't be a problem.
    There is no card you need to fill out. As for replacement forks you can order them directly from Fox.