mtbr member

g2 fisher cobia with a non g2 fork

Hi, the tora sl that came on the bike was replaced by rock shox under warranty. the only problem is they didnt have any g2 forks in stock so they replaced my tora with a 2011 recon. Nice fork but i'm concerned that the handling will be funky. Any thoughts?
    29ers are more fun!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Well unfortunately if you want a G2 fork aftermarket, Fox is your only option unless you find something on ebay, craigslist, etc. I'm thinking forward to replacing the Dart 2 on my Marlin, and here's what I heard back from Fisher (some bonus warranty replacement info as well):

"At this time, Rock Shox or any other brand G2 forks are not available to purchase for an upgrade. So for a fork upgrade, the only option if you want to maintain the G2 geometry is a Fox Iím afraid. Trek has actually owned Fisher bikes since 1995, so it does not affect your warranty. We do keep many frames around for as long as possible, but I cannot guarantee that if your frame were to break that we would have the same frame available. We would use Fisher frames for Fisher replacements until they run out, then the replacement would be one of the Trek models. Rest assured that the replacement frame would be a comparable or better frame. It is very unlikely that you will ever have an issue with your frame. If you do, hopefully we will still have a Fisher frame left. If not, we would not be able to repaint a Trek frame with a different paint scheme.

Ride on,"

So there ya go . . . unfortunate, but it looks like its either $$$ Fox, or scouring ebay/craigslist if you want to maintain your G2 geometry.

mtbr member

thats what i thought

Im heading off to pick it up in a hour or two. I'll test ride the recon tommorow and give an update on how the brand new 2011 recon works out on a g2 bike.
    29ers are more fun!

Truly Doneski
    Sep 2009
    That really sucks. Fox forks are great, better than any RS offering IMO, but they're just so expensive. I'm sure I'm not the first to say this, but I'd like to see a nice rigid G2 fork.

I hate that name.
    Quote Originally Posted by GFAthens
    That really sucks. Fox forks are great, better than any RS offering IMO, but they're just so expensive. I'm sure I'm not the first to say this, but I'd like to see a nice rigid G2 fork.
    How much are you willing to pay? I'm sure you could get one custom made with any offset you desire, and it would be pretty dang nice too. Waltworks comes to mind, but it will cost you $260.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member

ride report on new fork

I tried out the 2011 recon tk gold 29er fork last night. What a difference from the 09 Tora sl i had! they were n ice enough to upgrade me to the top line gold tk recon model. First thing I noticed is how much lighter it was. 3.8 pounds compared to 5.3. The recon came set at 100mm travel which was nice for my local trails. I really didn't notice much difference in steering response so the lack of offset isn't a big deal. The fork is much plusher, especially with small bump compliance. The wheel tracks a bit better because of smoother travel through it;s stroke. I think I actually made out on the deal. I didnt have the bike for a month, but I have a hi fi 29 as well. Bottom line: The 2011 recon 29er is a HUGE improvement over the tora. I feels much like my friends 2010 reba. If you are in the market for a fork and don't want to break the bank, go with the recon 29.
    29ers are more fun!

Truly Doneski
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by blunderbuss
    How much are you willing to pay? I'm sure you could get one custom made with any offset you desire, and it would be pretty dang nice too. Waltworks comes to mind, but it will cost you $260.
    I'll check out Waltworks. Website? $260 is a bit pricy, but it's a lot better than what some of the suspension forks are costing
    Originally Posted by Bmateo1:
    Joyous Day in Woods
    Thoughtless Jackwagon, piss near
    Chudzpah, Passion Lost

I hate that name.
    www.waltworks.com

He primarily does custom frames (starting at $1200), but will do forks alone. He always has a waiting list, usually runs a few months for a frame, a few weeks for a fork.

Edit: He also seems like a pretty cool guy, and is a moderator on these forums.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.