mtbr member
    Apr 2008

New question here. Front tire washout on GG

Whats up guys, this is my first post, although I have frequented MTBR for a couple years now. I ride an 06 Fisher Tass. Overall, especially for the price, this bike has been great. I am a light guy, but ride fairly aggressive. It has seen a few 5 foot (nearly flat) drops with no issues. Anyways, just wanted give GF some praise.
    To get to my question, I have always experienced some form of front tire washout ever since the beginning. I have ran a few different tires, with some being better than other, but the problem still persists. Does anyone experience this problem? The Genesis geo. is great, but is this the source? If so, what have you done to try and correct this problem? By this I mean cockpit changes AND riding style. Thanks ahead of time.

is buachail foighneach me
    it's all technique. i don't know how you're currently turning to cause it, so i can't offer any suggestions as to how to correct it. try catching it on video.

two wheel whore
    Try taking better lines...later apexes, if you will.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the quick responses. Shmoo: I have already done this. It works on many corners however it does make me slower. The tire still washes out though.
    Sean: Could you tell me how you turn then? I have experimented with so many different techniques, with mixed results. I have mtbed for years, and this is the first bike where I really have had this problem. Yesterday I tried lowering the air pressure to 20psi. This is obviously too low to really run, I just wanted to see what would happened. Many of the wash out problems were resolved, but it felt like riding on a balloon of course.

two wheel whore
    I think you're just going to find the right balance of all variables. You could possibly soften up the front which will be more forgiving, but that may slow you down. You already tried the tire pressure, but you did see some results. The trick is going to be finding that perfect balance, to the point where you can push but not 'override' (or overdrive, in auto terms) the bicycle.

I've tried weight shifting (in every axis), steering with the rear, etc...I'm still working on it. lol I'm no expert, but coming from an auto/motorcycle background, I can tell you that it's not going to be a 'single' variable that you can change that will fix any 1 thing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I had the same issue when I got my Fisher, and I attributed it to the rearward weight bias of the geometry. I flipped my stem to make it longer and lower, and that seemed to help put more weight on the front wheel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    If you're not already, convert to tubeless using whatever method you can (stan's no-tubes or bontrager 'juice') and then you can run a lower pressure in the front safely. I run 25 psi regularly in my Hifi's front tire and it has completely resolved the washout issue. Also, use a dual compound tire that has a nice soft sidewall for good bite. Not sure what terrain you ride, but I use bontrager's jones xr tubeless ready (foldable) tires and they rock for me. Good luck!
    capn

is buachail foighneach me
    the way i turn depends on the turn in a huge way. what is the soil like where you're washing out? how tight are the turns? off camber? obstacles(rocks)? dry? wet?

aside from technique, it could be your fork settings. i don't know enough about that to give advice on it though. i was on rigid for 10 years untill recently.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The rearward bias seems to be the problem of the GG, something they probably accounted for with G2. I'll try flipping my stem. Too bad I just bought a new stem.