mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Front Derailleur for 09 HiFi 26"

Hi all - I recently purchased a 2009 GF HiFi Pro G2 26" frame from ebay. This is my first FS bike, I'm coming from a Kona Kula. My plan was to transfer what I can from the Kona to the GF as way to get into a good FS bike on a budget.

This is my first full build of a bike and things have been going pretty well up until now. I must thank many posts on this forum as I researched items, and you-tube has helped a lot too.

(sorry for the long post, but trying to answer ahead of time all questions that might come up.)

What I can't figure out or find current information on is the front dellailleur for this frame. The FD from the Kona is completely wrong, so I need find one.

Reading all the FD posts here gave me some info, but I've ended up pretty confused. The best post I found was for a 2007 HiFi where someone said "it takes a FD-M581". I couldn't find that FD though, so I instead bought the FD-M591. The shop said it's basically the same as the 581, so I figured it should work.

I've read all I can read about adjusting the FD and watched several you-tube videos on the subject. I'm rather certain I have it installed correctly and adjusted correctly, but it just isn't working right.

A few symptoms: Everything is smooth when in low-low, but as soon as I shift the rear a few gears up, the chain rubs along the bottom of the FD cage. I can shift the front to the middle sprocket and it cleans up. I can barely shift into the largest sprocket up front because the chain binds against the FD cage and the largest gear.

The former problems indicates to me I need to drop the entire FD, but the latter problem indicates I need to raise the entire FD. So now I'm wondering if the FD I got simply is not compatable.

Questions:

1) Do I need a different FD? If so, any suggestions?
    2) Can this problem be an adjustment problem that if I work at it long enough it'll dial in?
    3) just bite the bullet and take it to LBS for them to figure out? (boring)

thanks all!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Re: Front Derailleur for 09 HiFi 26"

Your rubbing issues sound like the derailleur is too high. Make sure the outer plate of the cage is parallel to the rings, and that the height is set such that a penny just fits between the front of the cage and the big ring when shifted out to the big. Pic of this and all you need to know about the setup and tuning here:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...ur-adjustments

You may already know this, but realize with a proper set up you still may experience chain rub if you cross the chain between front and back. That is to sat, the middle ring should be used with the middle 5 or so rear cogs, and the inner and outer rings with the inner and outer 2 or 3 rear cogs.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2