mtbr member

Fitting/Stem length question for Superfly hardtail owners

Ok, here goes another bike sizing question. But instead of asking which size to get, I just want to know whether people think this frame handles better with a short stem or longer stem.

I'm right in between sizes and could ride a larger frame with 80mm stem, or smaller frame with 110mm stem, with exactly the same fit (effective reach...saddle to bars)
    Yes, I know I should demo both, but haven't been able to find both sizes available to take out on a real trail (I know the other hardtails have the same geo's...those aren't available either).

I'm more of an ultra endurance rider, and like to bomb the technical downhills, but don't want to give up any climbing ability either.

Any opinions on the handling with long versus short stems?

Thanks,
    Last edited by FlavC; 08-30-2010 at 05:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm in a similar boat to you, I ride rig in large and just picked up a SF100 in medium.

the cockpit on both is setup almost identically for length and height above the BB ( longer stem on the SF100 )

in spite of the longer stem the SF10 handles quicker than the rig which I am attributing to the slightly shorter wheelbase and the setback seatpost. neither are a handful ride though.

in your case check how much seatpost you'll have exposed on the medium, too much and you might be replacing it more often than you might like. ( rash assumption here )