mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Bonking ... not feelin' well fat possum xt replacement

just broke my fat possum yesterday 10 minutes into ride at the pivot. i have been very happy with this bike when i was able to harness the movement in the rear. it is under warranty and wanted to know from other riders if this happened and what did GF replace it with? do they replace the frame only or do they send a complete replacement? dont really want the same problem with another fat possum

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Sorry to hear about your bike. Both my original & replacement frame cracked/ broke on the bottom of the pivot. 2'nd possum frame broke on 12/23 & it was replaced with a Roscoe frame. I was told I would get a complete frameset - but what I got was the frame & shock- no fork(despite it being listed on Fishers website as part of the frameset). I was unable to get a line on the proprietary fork after being told it was available through my dealer-that turned out to be BS. Also, if they are sending that frame, make sure they send the ABP skewer with a nut. You will also need a taperd headset(unless you are buying a new tapered steerer fork), and a different front derailiuer (bottom swing). I found out the hard way the rep isn't going to know what components are compatable. My replacement headset took 1-1/2 weeks after the frame arrived, and the skewer was another 3 weeks behind that and did NOT come with the nut for the other side. The nut on the Possum will not work with the Roscoe frame. I finished building it with some new parts I bought, but can't keep the chain from breaking. 4 times in 3 short rides.
    It has been tuned by LBS twice, so I guess it's the Shimano HG 93 chain I put on it. Save yourself a month and make sure you get the essential parts to make the new frame compatable. The shock needs air every time I check it (25-50#'s). Initially I like the way the bike feels and the frame looks pretty rugged - as did the posssum. I wonder when I see the pics of guys jumping with possums.Just trail riding did mine in. Both times it let go pedalling up a small hill. Good Luck

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    thanks for the info i hope i have as much fun on the roscoe as i did the possum

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I had a really fun ride today with my fellow perpetrators. Rode "our" haunts nearby. Somebody buffed out the stuff we made & some stuff I had been laying out = great deja voodoo! I am way out of shape, but had a really good time on the "Poscoe". The hybrid was very stable. Climbs better than the possum, & decends very well. The Pike was right there for me, as it always has been. The rear shock is very plush, not mush. Had some real fun pointing it down some short, techy runs. I also enjoyed being in cameer gear crawling up & over rocks, and on off camber stuff. Finally getting to enjoy the bike. Great friends, cool day, no bugs(yet), and some good dirt make every ride better. I went with bars~27" wide on this bike and like them for now. I'm hoping the width won't be an issue in the tighter stuff. Seems to climb much better out of seat than the possum. Now if I can find some newer, lighter wheels and a dropper post.....

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You aren't going to want the hear this,

If the rear shock needs air everytime. It needs to get warrantied. They shouldn't leak that bad.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Checked it tonight before a short spin. Rode it last on Saturday. Went from 205 to 155. Man, I don't want to deal w/anymore warranty stuff this close to bike season. I wonder how long a "shocking issue" would take?