mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Fat Possum Xo tires

HI all,

I'm not a wacko hard core nutjob any longer (too old and broken), but I still like to git it from time to time.

Well in a nice little ride on some pretty technical single track this weekend, I finally came to the conclusion the Bontrager tires that came on the bike suck big hairy donkey balls.

I cannot get them to stick on anything except pavement. I have tried stiffening the suspension up, loosening it up. I've tried higher pressures and lower pressures. I really just cannot get it together to sort it out and am getting my butt handed to me by my main riding buddy.

I have a set of Panaracers on my old Sugar 3 that I'd like to put on and just see what the difference is, and I know tires are a very personal preference, but I really just wondered if I'm missing the boat somewhere along the line.

The trails I'm riding are mainly hardpack with little mud. There is a good bit of climbing- and it is probably 60/40 technical. I am just sliding around all over the dang place and can't figure it out. It could be the loser in the saddle is a total pansy with no skills whatsoever, but even when I overcome any fear, the bike starts to slide- a lot.

Oh yeah, could this have to do with the fix/upgrade I read about with the pivot bearing bolt needing to be replaced with a longer one? And how do I know if that has been done? It probably hasn't b/c the bike was new from a shop of morons.

Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    No love?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    06 or 07?
    The big earls on the 06 i find to be ok even though they are the "dry" i prefer the "wet" version, if it is the 07, you have to ditch Jones ACX. They basically went with those because the one of the biggest criticisms of the possum in its first year was that the wheels and tires were to heavy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rwmaximus1k
    06 or 07?
    The big earls on the 06 i find to be ok even though they are the "dry" i prefer the "wet" version, if it is the 07, you have to ditch Jones ACX. They basically went with those because the one of the biggest criticisms of the possum in its first year was that the wheels and tires were to heavy.
    It's an '06 that I got as a leftover. I did a really long motorcycle tour this weekend and haven't been on the MTB, but am still going to swap out the Panaracers from the Sugar to see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the input!

jdk
    Chur
    Sep 2007
    I swapped the stock bontragers out for some Kenda Nevegal 2.35 Stick-E's and love them. Pretty much everything down here in Florida is soft though - You might try the DTC's if you're riding a lot of hard pack. They've got the soft compound on the sides and harder compound in the middle.
    08 Churner 5Spot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I read great things about the Kendas and might try them out if the Panaracers I just put on don't work out.

This reminds me- I thought the bike was to come with tubless tires??? Sure enough there were tubes.

Something else I was wondering about, how do I know if the "fix" to the pivot bolt has been performed? If I recall, there is a longer bolt that needs to be put in and torqued properly in order to reduce rear flex, which may also be contributing to my sloppy handling.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    stock wheels and tires are tubeless ready.... all you need to do is take out the tubes, screw on the valves(that it should have came with) throw some super juice(bontrager of course) in there. Then blast them with air

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    So I swapped in the Panaracers (Fire xc pro 2.1) last night and rode the bike to work today. I think I found my problem. I'll be travelling next week for work and am crazy busy till then so I might not get a trail run until the following weekend, but thus far, the bike is MUCH better. Rolling resistance is down and simple cruising on pavement is significantly better.

I am now starting to think that the fix for the pivot hasn't been done though as I leaned the bike into a couple turns I felt what seemed like chassis flex as opposed to just tread flex.

Ideas?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

07 fat possum xo

swapped the rubber for wtb mutano raptors, bought them on sale ,about 27 bucks each.
    so far so good

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Not running a Possum but I like the Mutanos here in SoCal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for the further input. I have been very happy with the Panaracers being on there. I think I have become very sensitive to tire pressure as I ride the bike more.

It's nuts, but it is getting to the point that riding my bicycle is more and more like riding my motorcycle. Again, this is my first high end bike and I'm used to the suspension kind of being a spring as opposed to actually functioning in terms of damping and the like.

That said, I'll look into those tires in the future.

I still need to determine if the "fix" for the swing arm has been done. I did my first real tear down of the bike and cleaned and repacked necessary components and wondered if I'm going to kill the bike if I tear that down and see what's the what. I also need to know what the torque specs are for the bolts.

Reseach time!