mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Fat Possum XO crank clicking

OK, this one is getting annoying. I absolutely love the bike, but it seems I'm having to do a bunch of trail maintenance while on the trail! Instead of taking a break and having a snack, I end up tightening my non drive side crank.

I had the crank come off once before while going down a trail (yes I can be lazy sometimes on maintenance) and ever since it seems like it comes loose quite a bit- I mean every 20 miles or less.

I'm afraid I'm going to over hork on the bolt and break it off. I've disassembled and relubed (with the same ecto plasm that I use on the final drive of my motorized 2 wheel machine), and also tried even putting locktite on to no avail.

It is loose or did something come out and get lost in the dirt when the crank came off? It seats just fine and when I disassembled again, there was no dirt in there, so I don't think I goofed something.

It is a prominent click at the 9:00 position and I literally feel the click and it seems to get progressively worse. I stop and tighten, and it gets better- for a bit. Then I hork on it with a proper wrench when I get home and it's fine for the first half of the next ride and it starts again.

Ideas? These are Bontrager race cranks I think. Did I bugger one of the bearings?

Thanks a bunch.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    No love?

Would I get more traction by posting to a tech forum?

Just wondering...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    OK this has gone from mildly annoying to downright frustrating.

I went on a nice little after work ride tonight on a nice little single track trail tonight that is fairly technical at least for a couple miles (Saratoga Gap for anyone in the Bay Area).

Well I brought more than trail tools to the trail head and wanted to check where the tightness was in the crank prior to setting off. Sure enough it was loose. So I tighten it (and the darn headset) AGAIN and set off. After only a little over a mile or so it was loose again. The only way I know it is loose is by the clicking.

I am going to waste a bearing or something if this persists. If I can't even get through a simple few mile ride without this happening, something is up. HELP!!!!!

Rip
    Broken
    Sounds like the splines are screwed.

Basically, you need a new crankset.
    À tout le monde. À tous mes amis. Je vous aime. Je dois partir.
    These are the last words I'll ever speak And they'll set me free

Double-metric mtb man
    How much torque are you putting on it?

I've got the same crank on my Cake (Bonty Race...until my SLX set gets here) and it did what you described once...then we got out the torque wrench and gave it 2-3 ft-lbs over the recommended (which is something like 35 ft-lbs...so it was only a few percent over the "ideal") and it hasn't budged since.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me