mtbr member

Effed my 'Fish today

So I'm out on an evening ride on my '10 Rumblefish 1 today, tackling a rocky uphill that more often than not gets the best of me but recently has been doable. I pick a bad line, stick the front wheel, do a low speed stoppie/nose wheelie, dismount to the left without much drama(riding flats) but the rear end of the bike proceeds to drop like a downed tree away from me( and me not thinking about bike preservation...) from being nearly vertical onto a big rock. It lands with a sickening thud, denting the right seat stay directly over the ABP logo as well as pushing it in maybe 1/4-1/2"
    It is soo out of whack that the derailleur hanger/dropout is then rotating a few degrees counterclockwise as viewed from behind, preventing complete shifting to the top two cogs( which was what clued me into it being more than a dent...). On further inspection, the chain stay, hanger, skewer and everything else "appears" ok and straight to the naked eye. The other sickening thing is the bike has maybe only 30 hours on it...
    I know it could be "straightened" to close to right, but probably would fatigue it and/or never be right enough for anal me ....soooo

Questions:
    Does Trek/Fisher sell seat these stays separately or must one get a whole triangle?
    Is it the same part dimensionally and except for paint as a '10 Hifi's?
    Anyone with experience on availability of this seatstay??

I'm sure the price is going to be is going to be , but really it is more the down time that is really gonna drive me crazy...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Luck!

and report back on the results.

On a new bike the part should be something they can get you.
    Hopefully they do you right on the price.

I've seen a different brand on an older bike charge more for the rear triangle than a new frame complete was selling at.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    You should be able to do crash replacement on it which you get a 20% discount with. They should have those is stock, just take it to your LBS and they can get the ball rolling on that.

mtbr member

This is how ugly it is. The seat stays are supposed to ride inboard of the chainstays. After removal of the of the dropouts, the right seat stay has enough tension to want to ride outboard of the chainstay on the right , the left is still lined up just inboard.
    Yes the thought of just slipping a big pipe over the right chainstay and .... ok, never mind that...
    On further inspection it is the ABP bearing was slightly unseated from the chainstay at the bottom of it recess, which caused the hanger to ride askew- that should be reseatable to get square again.

mtbr member
    Woohoo!!!- word from the LBS is that they are all the same size, readily available within a week, correct color, and will cost less than $150!

mtbr member
    Sweet! I have only had my RF for a month so my heart went out to you--great to know it is so easily solved.

mtbr member
    Yes I am pleased that it will be correctable very easily apparently.
    Yea, it is alot like that first ding or dent or crumple in a new car or truck- just sickening. But the upside is replaceable parts vs repair jobs that are never the same... like my black truck with two different tones and textures of metalic flake after a repair

mtbr member
    wow awesome. Great to know.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

Full fledged member
    Good thing for you. It would have been sad to see a nice bike like that costing much more to fix/replace. Keep us updated to how it all works out. I am interested to know.
    1.21 Gigawatts

mtbr member
    Well after the shop delayed ordering the seatstay until after I rattled their cage( they were waiting to get the minimum order together ....) it finally comes in, about $140, bearings already in place and it fits like a glove- I mean exactly FWIW, they are all the same dimension regardless of frame size, and really only color varies- obviously easing availability/stocking.

In retrospect, had I been on a hardtail and had the exact same wreck, it could have been a much bigger deal. Probably more ride-able bent, at least for a while, but less replaceable due to $$. Now I have a nice trophy for the wall

I'm happy, would have been happier a week ago, but I guess I can't complain

Lesson: try to think bike preservation (also) when crashing next time.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclutch
    Well after the shop delayed ordering the seatstay until after I rattled their cage( they were waiting to get the minimum order together ....) it finally comes in, about $140, bearings already in place and it fits like a glove- I mean exactly FWIW, they are all the same dimension regardless of frame size, and really only color varies- obviously easing availability/stocking.

In retrospect, had I been on a hardtail and had the exact same wreck, it could have been a much bigger deal. Probably more ride-able bent, at least for a while, but less replaceable due to $$. Now I have a nice trophy for the wall

I'm happy, would have been happier a week ago, but I guess I can't complain

Lesson: try to think bike preservation (also) when crashing next time.
    On a hardtail you'd be talking full frame replacement.

Truly Doneski
    Sep 2009
    Glad all's worked out!