mtbr member

Duster tubeless questions

Ok, so the rimstrips finally came back in stock on the Trek/Bont website. Placed my order. I haven't done tubeless before.

I ordered the Trek valve stem. Does this have a removable core? I was going to use Stan's for the sealant. Should I order that Stan's injector too, or won't it work with the Trek valve?

I'm assuming I should remove the blue rim tape that came stock and just insert the tubeless strip? Stupid question, but I didn't know if I should leave the rim tape on or not.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by picassomoon
    Ok, so the rimstrips finally came back in stock on the Trek/Bont website. Placed my order. I haven't done tubeless before.

I ordered the Trek valve stem. Does this have a removable core? I was going to use Stan's for the sealant. Should I order that Stan's injector too, or won't it work with the Trek valve?

I'm assuming I should remove the blue rim tape that came stock and just insert the tubeless strip? Stupid question, but I didn't know if I should leave the rim tape on or not.

All the Bonty valves that I have seen have removable cores . FWIW , I don't put the Stans sealant in through the valve , I put it in while mounting the tire . I just dump one scoop of Stan's in just before mounting the second bead . I remove the rim tape before installing the rim strip . Hope this helps out , good luck .

I hate that name.
    What he said, plus a tip- when installing the tubeless strip, put a screwdriver through the valve holes to keep them lined up.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    To add to what everyone else said above, injecting Stans through the valve hole is a good way to top off your stans every 2 months or so and keep it fresh.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Older style Bonty valves do not have the removable core (I've got a pair, want em : )

If you ordered you should get newer stock. Use the valve to keep the strip in the right place when mounting. Dump in some sealant and add through the core every so often. Go to the pharmacy/pet store and buy a syringe for giving liquid meds and forget the Stan's injector.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys.

Another question, do I HAVE to add sealant before inflating, or can I inflate the tire dry to set the bead, then inject sealant and spin for flat protection?

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by picassomoon
    Thanks guys.

Another question, do I HAVE to add sealant before inflating, or can I inflate the tire dry to set the bead, then inject sealant and spin for flat protection?

You can add the sealant after wards , it works fine that way .

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    to the OP, I left my blue tape on the rim and mounted the tubeless strips right over it. Didn't think to look or ask. I didn't have a problem....

At Work
    same here, left the OEM Rim Strip in place.
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku
    (Resurection in Progress)

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hi,

I've got a follow-up question on the topic here. I also want to convert my 26'' dusters (came on Gary Fisher Roscoe I, 2009) to tubeless.

Bontrager's site lists the following strips

211823 Black 26 Tubeless Rim Strip-Symmetric
    220225 Black 26 Tubeless Rim Strip-Asymmetric
    400336 Black 26 Rhythm Tubeless Rim Strip-Symmetric

Which one is the correct one? (i'm thinking rhythm but...)

I hate that name.
    Rhythm strips.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

XXIX
    Do you guys get any burping on your Dusters. I get real small burps all the time but never loose more than a half a pound of air per ride. Im running a Hutch Python tubeless ready on the rear and a Kenda Nevegal on the front.

At Work
    Never on my 29" Dusters.......
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku
    (Resurection in Progress)

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by picassomoon View Post

You can watch Keith Bontrager demonstrate, install, and thoroughly explain the easy step-by-step process (along with useful tips) of installing the components of the Bontrager tubeless system.

Part 1 > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT1JToqWmsY

Part 2 > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J06pe7LwaQ

Note: Part 2 shows how to best install, and if needed remove, the TLR rim strip. Be certain to remove the stock rim tape before installing the TLR rim strip.

mtbr member
    If you want thorn protection, I would recommend using Stans sealant in lieu of the Bontrager brand sealant. The Bonty stuff will seal the casing fine for inflation, but doesn't do a whole lot for thorns. I actually use half Stans / half Slime, but everyone has their own preferences and there are a lot of homemade concoction options as well. Best Tubeless Brew?