mtbr member

Difference btwn 2008+ Rig & Paragon Chain Tensioning

I have a 2008 Paragon and I *really* like it. I'd like to have a SS also, but simply don't have the money for a new Rig right now and I never really see used Rigs in size small. However, there are sometimes used Paragons and I thought I might buy one and convert it to SS.

My question revolves around tensioning the chain... Do the 2008+ model year Rigs come with sliding dropouts (presumably something I could buy to convert a Paragon), elliptical bottom brackets, or another method of tensioning the chain? Does the method of chain tensioning change by model year (2008 vs. 2009 vs. 2010)? Any other insight besides installing an aftermarket chain tensioner?

Thanks!

I hate that name.
    Pre-2011 Rigs are EBB. You'll need a chain tensioner (Surly, etc) to set up a Paragon SS.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Or you can install forward components eccentric bottom bracket (EBB). It converts a standard sized bb shell to EBB- just found them on the web the other day- pretty neat.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

At Work
    I thought you had a 26er set up as single speed? If so, snatch the parts off of it and put it on the Paragon (Conversion parts).
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku
    (Resurection in Progress)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sxr-racer
    I thought you had a 26er set up as single speed? If so, snatch the parts off of it and put it on the Paragon (Conversion parts).
    I do, but still like the cleanest method possible. If the '08-'10 Rigs had sliding rear dropouts, and these could be purchased aftermarket and put on a Paragon, I figured this would be the cleanest setup.

At Work
    2011 rig is sliding dropout design
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku
    (Resurection in Progress)