mtbr member

Difference between supercaliber 29 and Hi-Fi 29?

Guys,
    What's the difference between the Supercaliber 29 and the Hi-Fi 29's as far as riding style? Is one more XC-oriented than the other?
    I'm liking the GF 29ers this year.
    Thanks
    Lou
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Airborne Ti HT
    Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The Supercal is more XC oriented, though you could race either.

No longer 26
    Quite a bit different single pivot suspension design, different geometry as well. Both have lightweight frames. The HiFi might be a lighter frame and a little tighter feeling.

I have not ridden a HiFi but the suspension design is pretty similar to the old Sugars with a pivot on the seat stays instead of flex stays. I ran my Sugar with a Mantiou 3way platform shock and it worked very well. The Supercal has a platform shock with a lock out and it works very well. My SCal climbs like no ones business for me.

Don't think you can go wrong either way. Maybe lean toward the HiFi if you are real heavy >225?

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    Appreciate the response, guys. I ride typical Southeast rooty trails with lots of climbing and prefer a more XC-oriented ride (less-suspension, aggressive steering) and weigh about 195.
    Fisher has a great 29 selection.
    Lou
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Airborne Ti HT
    Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

Orbea USA

Good job! SuperCal -- Here, Here

Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider
    Appreciate the response, guys. I ride typical Southeast rooty trails with lots of climbing and prefer a more XC-oriented ride (less-suspension, aggressive steering) and weigh about 195.
    Fisher has a great 29 selection.
    Lou
    Another SE rooty trail patriot -- I've been on a SuperCal 29er for a year and am still quite pleased with it. Thought about going to HiFi for the G2, but just took possession of a Fox F29rlc today. The Supercal handled fine without it (at least with my skills), but I'm thinking the deeper offset of the Fox will make the tighter stuff a little less troublesome.

Rarely do I use all of the travel and I'm totally addicted to the 15 degree bars that come on it. I'm at 200lbs., so your 195 won't be a problem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Another Vote for the Supercaliber...

Just got back from the 24 hours of moab. Raced the Supercal on that sandy, rocky, technical course and I absolutely loved it! I have raced and ridden it on a variety of trails here in Utah, but until this weekend I was still a bit hesitant of the suspension design. I'm also 195 and the main difference came with setting the shock and for up correctly, once it's dialed it feels great! I also second the stock big sweep bars, super light, and they feel great!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Hi-Fi 29er Pro

I have a Hi-Fi 29er Pro, and LOVE it.
    I was wanting an XC race bike, but the Supercaliber didn't have enough travel for me. I wanted that extra inch.
    I know you were wanting better climbing, but in my experience the Fox rear shock gives the bike a quick snappy feel, just an extra inch of travel.
    It also comes with the new Fox F29, which handles very impressively.

Mine with pedals weighs in at just over 27 lbs. And the susp. design is quite stiff.
    I was on a Supercaliber and it felt stiff as well, I just think the Hi-Fi a little stiffer.

cheers!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

good starter?

I am new to MTb'ing and have a chance to pick up a Supercaliber29 for around $1899 with upgrades owned by a bike mech. Is this too much or the worng bike to start with? i would ride Northeast trails in Mass. Also can get a 07 Prophet with lefty (26) for 1100 or a Cannondale Rush 07 for 1000