mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Desperately need a 2008 HiFi Pro 29er seat stay

Hi,

I somehow cracked my left seat stay right about in the middle and need a replacement part. I went to my LBS Trek shop and they took a picture and sent it in to Trek. Trek decided it was from a crash (I don't dispute it; I've fallen off a couple of times and could have bounced the frame of a rock), and that I was out of luck, since they don't make that part anymore.

So, now I have a busted $2500 HiFi Pro 29er I can't ride (or probably shouldn't ride), for lack of a hundred dollar part. They can give me a crash discount on a new frame, though I don't know what frame they would send me, since they don't make the HiFi anymore. I guess I could send it to a carbon repair shop, but it sure would be easier if I could just find a spare part.

I've seen all of the posts regarding broken HiFi swing arms. Does anyone with a broken swing arm who got a new frame still have their seat stays from the old frame? Mine measures 17 1/2" from center to center.

thanks,
    Bob
    Last edited by bobtheman; 10-08-2011 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Forgot part of the title

mtbr member
    May 2006
    i'll check around at the local shops tomorrow. You should do the same. Call all the shops near your town and the next 3-4 over...ANY hifi 29er seatstay will from BEFORE 2010. Designed changed in 2010. Left and right are the same, graphics are just reversed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks Duke,

My LBS is the closest Trek dealer for 100 miles (I live out in the country). I will check with other shops, though. I guess I figured only Trek would have spare parts, and when they didn't, I kind of gave up on the bike shop route. I did get a PM from someone who said they had a part, but they never replied to my reply...frustrating.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Will these be ok?

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Desperately need a 2008 HiFi Pro 29er seat stay-uploadfromtaptalk1318611862846.jpg  

http://Theclydeblog.org Big guy cycling product tester

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Perfect!

Hi Duke,

Those look great! How much would you like for them?

Bob

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Send me a p.m. with your address, i'll get a shipping quote.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk
    http://Theclydeblog.org Big guy cycling product tester

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Thanks for your help.

Thanks everybody,

I just acquired a pair of seat stays thanks to the kindness and diligence of DukeNeverWinter. Looks like I'll be back in business soon. Unfortunately, it looks like the snow isn't that far off.

Bob

Birthday Collector
    For anyone in this situation again, Craig Calfee in Santa Cruz, CA will repair CF stays. It's not cheap, but if you love a frame... FWIW, Trek had one set of stays for that vintage HiFi a few months ago, and we put them on a warranty bike. The stay was damaged from the alloy dropout breaking on a downhill, and the tire, at speed, rubbed through the stay. We replaced them under warranty, and a month later the guy crashed up in the Sierra, on a rock. Broke the stay... Calfee was the option, and I think painted it was close to $400. Trek would replace the frame, but the customer didn't want to get a different frame..
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

pro leisure tour

I'm that guy

Sometimes you just break stuff! I can say I am completely happy with the repair. You could ride with me all weekend and never see where the damage was. I would use Calfee again without hesitation. It was $400, but I will say you get what you pay for.

www.calfeedesign.com
    If you see someone without a smile, give them yours