Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Derailleur Hanger & Sram Derailleur Question

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  gmcttr 
#1 ·
Took my new ride out yesterday and had a simple fall. The rear Sram X-9 derailleur bent inwards and bent the hanger. I always had Shimano before and never had this occur on bad falls never mind a small one. freak accident? I love the way the bike shifts with Sram, but I don't want a system that fails every time the bike falls over.......again the fall was very small and find it hard to accept it bent so easy.

My question is, are Sram derailleurs known for bending so easy? Are there any better quality hangers available that will not bend as easy. I know the hanger is suppose to bend or break, but the fall was very light and find this to be a poor design.

My bike is a 2009 HiFi 29er Deluxe and other then that issue I'm blown away by this bike. Thanks for any help.

Peace, BIGSIG

#2 ·
Bigsig,

Nice Bike! ;) I have always been a Shimano user myself. Now that I have used the Sram products I too now prefer them over Shimano. The shifting is more precise and a solid mechanical feel.

I am use to Shadow Rear Derailleur which keeps itself away from most obstructions. The SRAM x-9 and x-0 I have used Medium cage both do pretrude farther. I too am worried about the easy bend when a fall occurs on driveline side. I will just have to wait and see.

A replacment x-9 on our bikes can be had rather cheap and does a fine job. Feels the same as the X-o to me just not as lite.... if u are a WW type.

#3 ·
SmittyEX8, thanks for a reply that did not acuse me of bashing Sram. I made the mistake of posting on the drivetrain forum ( check it out ) and got attacked by members. My bike had a problem that never happaned to me in 10 years of riding and they think I'm trying to trash Sram products. I have concluded that a stick got stuck in my derailleur and caused me to fall over, and the stick bent the cage and hanger in the fall. OK no big deal, just bad luck. Thanks for not attacking me. Ride on, and enjoy the HiFi , I love mine!

Peace, Bigsig

#4 ·
only one said that. The rest think you're not telling the whole story. According to you, air bent both the hanger and the mech, which in and of itself, is difficult to see how both can happen without a significant impact that you're not revealing, or most likely didn't know or are in disbelief about.

So here too you're leaving out crucial parts.

#5 ·
I'm not leaving out anything.....I don't know what did this......I'm going with a stick of a decent size got stuck in the derailleur causing me to fall and bending the unit on impact. When I picked my bike up I did not see anything around that would have caused this.That's why I was surprised to see such damage on a minor fall. I live in a very wooded area with leafs covering the ground. You can't see sticks and other hazards. I guess I jumped the gun or was not very good at telling the story. So excuse my poor explanation of my problem.

Thanks, Bigsig

#6 ·
bigsig said:
I made the mistake of posting on the drivetrain forum ( check it out ) and got attacked by members.
And now they are going to follow you over to here.:rolleyes:

Just one of those freak accidents. I snapped a carbon fiber seat stay on my HiFi in a similar fall over. I couldn't believe it snapped from that "gentle" of a fall, but it must have just hit the edge of a rock just right. It happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.