mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Creaking on Roscoe 1. Grease suspension?

I have a 2009 Roscoe 1, that has quite a creak to it. It is most apparent when I'm climbing, and mostly goes away if I lock out the rear shock. This makes me believe it is related to the rear suspension. Is it advisable to grease up the rear suspension? If so, what is the standard procedure on this and what kind of grease do I use? I did some googling and couldn't find any specific guides to "rebuilding" the rear suspension on a Roscoe.

Any tips (or other owners that share my misery!) would help.

mtbr'er
    You definitely do not want to grease any of the suspension linkage bearings or bushings. I would check first that all the linkage bolts are torqued properly - but be very careful! Those bolts specify something like 125-200 in/lbs of torque, do NOT attempt to torque them to 200 in/lbs, unless they are brand new that will break them, I would torque to 130 in/lbs and make sure you re-apply thread sealant so they don't come loose.

I had the same issue on my Roscoe for about the first 1,000-1,500 miles, but the creaks all seemed to work themselves out after that. It's often caused just by a little bit of dirt or dust somewhere with a tight clearance. I have also seen people trying to track down a "rear suspension creak" endlessly, only to find out that it was some dirt between the seat rails and the and the clamp on the post, or dust that had worked its way down between the seatpost itself and the inside of the seat tube.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm starting to think that my rear shock may actually be the culprit at this point. When I hear the sound while touching the rear shock I can feel it resonating.