Thread: Cracked Frame..

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Cracked Frame..

Hey GF experts - I just noticed a crack on the top tube where the weld starts to the head-tube of my 2012 superfly alu frame, and am wondering if these frames are prone to cracking issues - Are folks having trouble with these frames?

This frame is 3x warrantied frame - 09 Paragon -> 11 Paragon -> 12 superfly alu, so I am considering giving up on GF/Treks frames and switch to something beefier. I am a bit large, but not huge ( 210lbs). Trek/GF has been wonderful about replacing the frames, but replacing a frame once a year is getting old.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Re: Cracked Frame..

I loved replacing my frames once a year....
    http://Theclydeblog.org Big guy cycling product tester

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeNeverwinter View Post
    I loved replacing my frames once a year....
    Yeah, I would say stick with them and keep getting new frames. At least they are standing by their product. I have not heard any specific reports of these frames being prone to cracks. Maybe you are just a brute! I guess you could always warranty the frame once more and sell the new one and use that money towards something else but you may end up cracking that too. Best chose a manufacturer that has a good reputation on warranty issues.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    That is good to know - the vintage of paragon frames I had prior to this one seemed to have a reputation for cracking, and so I was wondering if the new ones had similar problems. I will take the frame by the shop today and see what they say. Thanks!

Trail Prospector
    OP, am on GF (now Trek) frame #3 myself.
    Am not fast, or a brute, and this is exactly why I only buy new bikes w/ a warranty.
    Please keep us posted on the replacement process, as my last one was far from smooth.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr'er

We the people ... Another one bites the dust

This looks like a good thread for me to chime in on - as I'm not beginning the process the rest of you are (again). I have a 2009 Roscoe II that suffered from a busted chain stay less than a year after I bought it. I've had other warranty issues with the frame as well, to the point that I didn't really trust it anymore so I ended up buying another bike while it was out of service waiting for warranty parts.

That was in November of 2011, and after getting my Roscoe back, I had not ridden it once since then. Today, I decided that as long as I own the bike, I should really ride it or sell it to someone who will, so I looked it over and made sure everything was in good shape and took it out for a SUPER easy recovery ride (had a 70 mile race on Sunday) today and started having shifting issues just a few miles into it. I began fiddling with my barrel adjusters, thinking my cable tension was just out of whack - but couldn't get things to work quite right. Not more than 5 minutes later, it felt like I was riding a wet spaghetti noodle. Yep - completely separated chain stay, again...

I took the bike back to my LBS where I purchased it in 2009 and asked them what will likely happen. The mechanic I spoke to seemed to think there were likely still Roscoe chain stays floating around at Trek somewhere and most likely I would just get another replacement. I expressed my dissatisfaction with that idea, as they are obviously flawed to begin with, and he said the other option is that Trek will fix my broken chain stay. Seriously? I highly doubt that.

Anyhow, I have to say I hope there are NOT any more Roscoe chain stays available to replace this one. Considering how notorious these frames are for breaking, I would think they had probably all been sent out to other customers to 'fix' their broken frames. Quite frankly, I don't trust this bike at all, and I'm not about to go out and have any kind of fun on something I expect will fail like this underneath me. I'm not a Clydesdale, this bike has never seen a crash, and keep my wheels on the ground for the most part, too, so there is no kind of abuse going on here.

With any luck, I'm hoping for a real fix this time, not another ticking-time-bomb defective chain stay. I'll post an update when I have one, and in the mean time, good luck to everyone else who's dealing with their fantastic Fishers

Cracked Frame..-brokenroscoeii.jpgCracked Frame..-brokenroscoeii-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

How'd you discover your cracked frame?

My '10 GF X-Cal has been creaking lately either just below the seat or near the steer tube - can't quite tell and I haven't had a close look at it. Anyone else have any noise before finding the crack?

mtbr member
    My 10 cobia makes an incredible amount of noise if there's even a tiny bit of dirt or sand in the seat post haha. It is break free and has been flawless despite some serious chainsuck when I got it. It is the platinum frame like the xcal etc, I was hoping those were better as I love the paint job, and wouldn't want to lose it!
    10 Gary Fisher Cobia - 13 Trek Madone 5.2 - 14 Trek Fuel Ex8

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 722ish View Post
    My 10 cobia makes an incredible amount of noise if there's even a tiny bit of dirt or sand in the seat post haha. It is break free and has been flawless despite some serious chainsuck when I got it. It is the platinum frame like the xcal etc, I was hoping those were better as I love the paint job, and wouldn't want to lose it!
    My '10 X-Cal is the same - amazing "Snap, Crackle, Pop" from the seatpost/frame interface that becomes extremely loud and annoying over time. I've replaced the post, saddle, and clamp, have cleaned it and used carbon paste, but it always comes back. I keep checking for signs of cracks, but can't find anything. The frame has almost 5000 miles on it.

After a year or so the bottle holder rivnuts loosened and I tightened them. Now they've loosened and can't be removed or tightened, so I'm using superglue to try to keep the bottle cage from rattling...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    No problems on my 2012 Superfly AL Elite. Two full seasons of riding and racing

mtbr'er
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz123 View Post
    No problems on my 2012 Superfly AL Elite. Two full seasons of riding and racing
    knock on wood...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I've owned 6 GF bikes. Bought 2!