mtbr member

Can anyone help me out?

I have a 2010 GF Marlin. I am looking into a few things to possibly upgrade. Is there anywhere I can go to see the exact specs for my bike.

Whether it be Headset, Stem, Fork, Hubs, etc.
    Steerer tube, tapered, 1.5, 1 1/8?
    Headsets, thread and threadless?

I see there are different sizes for Headsets, and different angles for Stems. I love how my bike fits right now and really don't want to change that. But would not mind doing some small little upgrades to it (Good but a little cost effective upgrades).

IS there any particular fork I should look at over others, so I do not want to change the G2 Geometry either? Love my Dart 3, but I also love my buddies Tora. If I upgraded my fork, that would definitely need to be more cost conscientious then anything, without it being a small upgrade from my Dart 3. Thought about bumping up to the Tora TK but think it is only 1 step above mine. Don't think that is worth it.

Thanks for any help it is greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by RabEd Ewok; 09-03-2011 at 09:47 AM.
    2010 Gary Fisher Marlin
    Upgrade-Wellgo MG-1 Pedals
    If you don't come back banged up and bruised, you didn't go hard enough!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RabEd Ewok View Post
    I have a 2010 GF Marlin. I am looking into a few things to possibly upgrade. Is there anywhere I can go to see the exact specs for my bike.
    The Gary Fisher site. Click the tab "Full Specs": Marlin Disc | Gary Fisher Bicycles

And there is Bikepedia: BikePedia - 2010 Gary Fisher Marlin Complete Bicycle

Don't change your headset. That has to be one of the least-benefit upgrades one can do.

A fork upgrade is something you'd notice. It might be nice though, to make a bigger leap than from Dart to Tora.

Nice bike, btw. I just built up a 2009 Tassajara frame, which is probably similar and maybe identical to your Marlin frame. I'm really liking the result.

mtbr member
    Yeah I have been to the specs before, and revisited after I posted. that is when I noticed the 10d rise on stem, etc....

What a dope I am, trying to learn more about my bike. Yeah the jump from Dart to Tora really is not that big of a jump, but the Tora is pretty cheap, and an upgrade (very small) from what I got. I really lose quite a few forks, because of price, and color. Want a White one, but will settle for a Silver or Red one. Is there a way to tell if the fork will be an issue with the G2? DO NOT want to change the Geometry at all. 46mm Offset for Fork what does that mean?

Changing the headset can help loosening up the steering right?

Thanks for the help and info. Also Thanks for the props on the bike. Was thinking about finding a used old GF frame, so I could possibly build one myself. Not sure what the Wife will think about it, especially with me kicking around the idea of a Road Bike too. But shhh, she don't know that one jsut yet....lol

Oh btw, like the Tass too!
    2010 Gary Fisher Marlin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RabEd Ewok View Post
    Is there a way to tell if the fork will be an issue with the G2? DO NOT want to change the Geometry at all. 46mm Offset for Fork what does that mean?
    If you draw a line straight down through your steerer tube, your dropouts will be located 46mm in front of that line. Traditional fork offset for 26er bikes used to be 38mm. Trek increased the offset to 46mm on many Gary Fisher models to quicken the steering, probably so that they could run a slacker head tube angle (which slows the steering). Trek used the term G2 to describe the resulting geometry.

FWIW, I built my Tassajara with a non-G2 Fox fork that I picked up on sale from Jenson USA. I'm honestly not sure what offset Fox is running these days. I've had no issues w/handling. Maybe I'd notice the difference if I tried both offsets back-to-back, but the bike rides fine (very well, actually) with standard fork.

Changing the headset can help loosening up the steering right?
    If your steering feels tight, I would check the headset tension first. This video might help:

Cane Creek Cycling Components :: Tech Center :: Headsets

[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    FWIW, I built my Tassajara with a non-G2 Fox fork that I picked up on sale from Jenson USA. I'm honestly not sure what offset Fox is running these days. I've had no issues w/handling. Maybe I'd notice the difference if I tried both offsets back-to-back, but the bike rides fine (very well, actually) with standard fork.

If your steering feels tight, I would check the headset tension first. This video might help:
    Good to know thanks!

Was just asking the question to learn something, sorry if you misunderstood.
    2010 Gary Fisher Marlin