Tende
    Dec 2004

calling all Rumblefish owners

Just picked up my Rumblefish I from the bikeshop. I had purchased a mail order Thompson 31.6 seatpost thinking that's what size Fisher used. I found a 30.9 post instead. Its fits pretty loosely. I don't want to try to force the new post in and ruin anything. If you have a Rumblefish, can you see what size post is on it?

The Fisher website doesn't list a size for the Rumblefish, but says the HiFi uses a 31.6 (!?).

thanks

Tende
    Dec 2004
    Also, when I ordered the bike, I was assured it came with TLR tires and in fact the Fishes in stock were TLR. The bike I got does not have the TLR tires. The shop pretty much told me that if I didn't want it, others were waiting in the wings to buy it. So I took it. How much of a difference is there in the tires? I will be using Stans.

mtbr member
    Should be a 31.6mm. Don't use the 30.9 you will wreck the the frame/clamp.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

Tende
    Dec 2004
    Just to clarify: the Rumblefish came from the bikeshop with a Bontrager 30.9 post installed. WTF?

I hate that name.
    Strange, the Rhythm posts that come on the Rumbly's aren't even made in a 30.9, afaik. You really just need to go back to the shop with it.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

Tende
    Dec 2004
    well, that's what I did. Somehow the bike came with the wrong post - no one knows how. I'm good to go now. thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    At least you got a seatpost...they shipped my RF1 to the lbs without one and they substituted a cheap 20$ post ...and claim they are on backorder

Tende
    Dec 2004
    maybe that's what happened to me - they are out (!?) of the correct post.

mtbr member
    Get a Thomson and be done with it. Hehe
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

I hate that name.
    Mine came in last week and.... no seatpost. Dexter does show the Rhythm Elite posts as out of stock. However I talked to our inside rep and he said they would get one out to me. We'll see. In the mean time, I'm using the 31.6 off of my previous bike.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm about 2 weeks into my XL Rumblefish 1; I live in NC and had to call 53 dealers from Atlanta to DC to find it (finally found one in Asheville nc only to have it sold before I could get there, then found one more in Blacksburg VA). My point is if you are thinking about it and find a HF or RF in your size jump on it; there ain't many left for the year and it'll be sometime after August before more are available.

For comparison, I'm coming of a 2007 SC BLT 1.0; great bike, but I kept destroying the rear suspension linkage/bearings/axles (4times in 2.5yrs). So I needed a ride for a 24hr race and couldnt wait for the parts/labor on the BLT. Wanted a 29er so I thought this was my chance; The RF is way better for my personal riding; Im not super aggressive, but at 205-210 (plus gear) I'm no lightweight and climbing fast has never been my strength; but I descend pretty well (amazing what a difference gravity makes). That DCRV shock is fantastic and the difference was immediately noticeable to me at my weight; I also like the extra travel up front. Feels solid in all conditions and the Gary Fisher geometry solves the concerns about slow handling w the 29er. The only two niggles I have are due to the choices I made with this upgrade. First the xtra travel up front is great going down, but the front end does wander a bit on tough technical climbs (wish I had a travel adjust up front). Second, on extremely fast downhill banked turns the rear end does flex/wiggle slightly; don't notice in straight G'out's only when leaned over a high speed; Prolly the wheel, or tire, my fat ass or a combo of all three; These two small complaints aside I love the bike and would buy it again.

WNC Native
    Did you snag the XL that was sitting in the front window at Liberty?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Pirate!!!
    I don't know about back east, but here in northern california I know of a hifi delux in large, and a rumblefish 1 in XL. I can slip the info to interested partys if you would like!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    nitrous junky: thats the one that got sold out from underneath me! I had to go all the way to East Coasters in Blacksburg VA (GREAT shop btw w great trails in the area). All in all prolly meant to be this way; I had neever been to that area and got to check out some great trails that I might have missed other wise; But I'll be up in western NC soon; Look for my red and black beast churning SLOWLY up hill as you blow by me!!!