mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Cake III DLX, 2006 LX FD with 2011 SLX crankset?

I've been upgrading my crankset on my Cake III Deluxe from the stock bontrager to a new, shiny SLX.

I'ts my first crankset upgrade, but I got it done.

Since they were both triples of the same ratios, I kept the stock FD which is a Shimano LX. I assume it's from the same year as the model of the bike (2006).

First thing I noticed, is FD cannot go far enough back to slip into the smallest cog on the crankset. Even if it's bumped up right against the frame, the outside rail doesn't push the chain far enough over.

I assume this probably means I need to pony up for a new SLX FD?

Lastly, in the GF Cake documentation it doesn't specify the width of the Bottom Bracket Shell. Being in the U.S., didn't have a metric measure available. But it looks to be a 73mm, so I used a single spacer on the cog side of the SLX as specified in the techdoc. I feel my suspicion that it's 73 is confirmed since that little spacer in the left crank arm just clicks closed.

Here's some pics of the derailleur up against the frame and the chain just touching the outside of the derailleur. Not enough to push it into the smallest cog.
    Last edited by krunk7; 04-21-2011 at 12:00 PM.
    Gary Fisher Cake 3 DLX 2003

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm 99% certain the BB is 73mm and it sounds like you have the correct spacers. Bad news is your links are broken and I can't see your photos.

Do you live close to your local shop? You could always stop by for some advice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Oh, sorry bout the links. Fixed. Forgot to make them public.

I got some advice from my LBS, he seemed to agree a new FD should do the trick. Said the older LX models had more play and weren't as stiff.
    Gary Fisher Cake 3 DLX 2003