addict

Cake 3 DLX needs pivot bearings

Does anyone have the bearing specs or link to where I can get a bearing and axle kit. It is for a '04 Cake 3 DLX.
    Thanks!
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Off the top of my head...try a GF dealer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    there's some posts in the "definitve Cake " thread that discuss this bearing and a replacement kit, complete with a part number.

addict

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cake 3 DLX
    there's some posts in the "definitve Cake " thread that discuss this bearing and a replacement kit, complete with a part number.
    I will search for that thread. The nearest shop that would even possibly have that part is over 100 miles away, so the GF dealer is not too practical for me.
    Ride On!

addict

Anywhere else....

besides going through a GF dealer to order this kit. It is for my girlfriend's bike and I would like to have it rolling before the season is over. Anyone????
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    the manufacturer maybe?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The bearing size is a 6805 RS (rubber seal) and you will need some loctite 680, it is green-but it is not a thread locker, it is a "sleeve retainer" compound. You should be able to re-use the pivot axle and fixing bolt. Wire wheel/brush the pivot axle and fixing bolt to remove any corrosion and reapply blue (medium) thread locker on the fixing bolt.

Reminders for overhauling frames and procedure for using Loctite products:
    A heat gun can be used to assist in loosening parts that have been treated with any
    type of Loctite product.
    Remove the swing arm and shock to visually inspect and clean all parts
    Any parts that have Loctite applied should be cleaned with acetone (nail polish
    remover) and a wire brush prior to application. Any frame components that will have
    Loctite 680 applied to it should also be free of any pre-existing Loctite
    It is imperative, especially when using 680, that the bike is completely assembled and
    every thing is reassembled and brought up to correct torque specs before the Loctite has cured. Applications require 24 hours to completely cure before being used.
    Anyone who rides a bike is a friend of mine.
    My favorite bike is whatever I am riding.
    My favorite trail is where ever I am.
    Bikes and equipment are replaceable, friends and trails are not.

addict
    Quote Originally Posted by lew s lugnut
    The bearing size is a 6805 RS (rubber seal) and you will need some loctite 680, it is green-but it is not a thread locker, it is a "sleeve retainer" compound. You should be able to re-use the pivot axle and fixing bolt. Wire wheel/brush the pivot axle and fixing bolt to remove any corrosion and reapply blue (medium) thread locker on the fixing bolt.
    Thanks, that was exactly the info I was looking for. Enduro has those bearings. An email to GF just referred me to a GF dealer.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i ride atvs. when atv riders have a bearing that is crappy, they frequently go to an auto or industrial shop and get much better bearings. has anybody ever done that with this notorious pivot bearing? wonder if that would be a better answer. this 6805 RS bearing, is that something that a bearing shop would recognise?

addict

Enduro

Makes aftermarket suspension bearings (come stock on my SC Heckler) and fork seal kits. They seem to have most applications as well. No GF kits listed, but they do have the specified bearings. Check it out

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/
    Ride On!