mtbr member
    Jan 2009

New question here. Buying an old Hoo Koo E Koo tomorrow

I'm buying an old Hoo Koo E Koo, and the guy selling it to me says he thinks it's a '96 or '98. It's got the brake (is it a u-brake?) mounted under the chainstay, and I believe a cantilever up front. Can anybody identify it? Chainstay length would be great, it'll be a singlespeed and I'd like to play around with a magic ratio calculator. Thanks for any help!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Do you mean a 86 or 88 year? Check out www.bikepedia.com and you will see it is not a 96 or beyond bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Well I figured it was older than '96, but that's what the guy selling it to me said. Bikepedia doesn't have any information about the bike, and I couldn't find anything googling or searching the forums here.

mtbr member
    That definitely looks older than 96/98 to me. But from the pictures at least it looks pretty low mileage. If it's real cheap and passes an in person visual I would say go for it. (qualify to add I know zilch about what the desireable variables are for a good single speed) But, steel is real baby! Those U-brakes absolutely suck if you ride where it's muddy though. I have no clue on the chainstay length.

mtbr member
    I believe that one is a 1987. I'm not sure where you'd find info on it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    It looks great, I'm pretty pleased with it. It might need a repaint, are there reproduction stickers I can get?

What identifies it as a 1987?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnypecans
    It looks great, I'm pretty pleased with it. It might need a repaint, are there reproduction stickers I can get?

What identifies it as a 1987?
    1. It's either an '87 or an '88.
    2. The under-chainstay rear brake is the biggest clue.
    3. The HKEK was a new model in 1987, so it can't be older than that.
    4. In 1989, GF introduced the 'Evolution' headset, size 1.25" inches. They are pretty distinctive. The bike in that photo has a 1" threaded headset.
    5. That's a pre-Trek buyout frame, but not welded by Tom Ritchey or Tom Teesdale. The HKEK was Fisher Mountainbikes' first imported (from Japan, I believe) frame model to compete on price with other brands.
    6. I fell in love with the brand in 1989 at Big Bear, CA. My craptastic Nishiki was broken, so I rented a HKEK II from a local shop and LOVED the ride. It seemed a bit heavy at the shop, but was simply the smoothest frame I'd ever ridden. Just plain solid-feeling at 36 MPH downhill on a fire road.
    7. When I wanted another mtn bike a few months ago, I searched (and found) a '96 HKEK. It's great, but still doesn't compare to my memory of the '89. On the other hand, I might just be old and senile.

Useful link: http://mombat.org/Fisher_Specs.htm

Rick

Pisgah Dragon
    just scored an '87. Barely ridden. From FL. We fuhked it up and rode it down a hill. Now it has brake marks on the rim to with the nicks in paint from it falling over more than being ridden. Used bike, for sale.
    Think about something that feels good.